Chapter Sixteen: Tension is in the Winter Air

December

                “I thought you wrote that letter weeks ago,” James comments as he looks over my shoulder.

                I’m writing a letter to Mum about Christmas. “I know, James, but the letter just didn’t sound right and besides if I mentioned that I have a boyfriend, my parents would want to meet you, so I’ve been delaying for your sake.” I admit.

                “I’ll come over and meet your parents if you’d like me to,” James says calmly.

                “You don’t have to,” I begin.

                “Lils, I don’t mind.”

                “Alright, I’ll tell Mum about you.”

                “Maybe, I could come for dinner the day we get back from Hogwarts, we could apparite to your house from the station.” he suggests.

                “That would probably work.” I say, biting on the end of my quill.

                “I’ve got a practice for Quidditch, but when I’m back, I promise I’ll help you with planning the Christmas Ball.”

                “Then you better go, Team Captain.”

                Round two of planning balls. Unfortunately, Dumbledore was forced to cancel the Halloween Ball, since there were too many attacks on muggleborns at that point. Hopefully, this time will be better.

                I return to the letter in front of me. I haven’t honestly told Mum and Dad about James or the fact that I even have a boyfriend. So, I start writing again.      

                Dear Mum,

          How’s everything at home? How’s Dad doing with the piles of work that you mentioned in your last letter? I’m doing quite well at the moment. I recently aced a Transfiguration test. You know how I’m rubbish at that class.

          I’ve decided to come home for Christmas this year. I know that I haven’t since fourth year, but this is the last year, so I thought that it would be nice to see you. I was hoping if it’d be alright if I brought someone home with me. I recently, within the last month or so, started dating a guy. He’s a wonderful guy and I was hoping that it’d be alright if he came to meet you. If it can work out, we were hoping that James and I could apparite from King’s Cross straight home. It would save you and Dad some time. I miss you both dearly, but I’ll be home in a few weeks. How’s Petunia? Is she still with Vernon?

          I have to go start planning a Christmas Ball- ahh the joys of being Head Girl.

          With lots of love,

          Lily