Chapter Thirty-Six: A Crack in the Foundation of Us

The Great Hall is a mess of murky swamp water and it smells of rotting meat. It's the worst combination ever.
I think this time, the Marauders went a little too far. It started out as a rather funny idea. Oh, let's just flood the Great Hall with water. Nobody said anything about swamp water and rotting meat.
I sit on the top of the Gryffindor table next Alice. The red ribbons and hearts make this room even more horrifying. Valentine's Day. For the first time, I was actually kinda looking forward to it; the date and all that. However, it's suddenly lost its appeal.
"Can't you fix this, Lily?" Alice asks for the thousandth time.
I roll my eyes. "No, I can't. It happens to be unremovable. Funny how that happens."
"I hate James!" Alice whines. "I'm suppose to meet Frank!"
"Trust me, James isn't very popular with me either. Bloody hell! It stinks in here." I groan.
"Can't you-?"
"No! I can't do anything about the smell! Besides making you're heart stop so you don't have to smell it! I'd be quite happy to if you'd like!" I retort.
"How much longer are we going to be stuck here?" Alice asks.
"Well, I reckon that my Patronus got to Dumbledore. Sooo, I'd bet it will be an hour."
Alice slumps back and stares at the ceiling. "How many hearts do you think are in here?"
I groan. Why? Why? Why?
_____________
Two Hours Later....
"You are all free to go," Dumbledore declares. "Thank for your patients and have a good day!"
I walk out and breath fresh air. I take several deep breaths. "Ahhh!"
Dumbledore walks out. "Miss Evans, please inform Mr. Potter that this sort of pranking, however amusing, is not acceptable. Should he continue this, he may lose his Head Boy-ship. Good day." He walks towards the staircase.
"Hell. James isn't going to like this."
"You better tell him."
"Alright."
We return the Head's dorm and James is lying on the couch. "How was breakfast?" He smirks at us.
I walk up and punch his arm. "Damn you! Do you know how long we spent in that Hall?!!? Three and a half hours! Smelling rotting meat! The swamp smelled too!"
"So, are you ready to go?" He asks.
"James, wait. Dumbledore told me that if you continue to do things like that you'll lose your Head Boy-ship." I say softly.
James' expression goes cold. His eyes narrow. Slowly, he gets off the couch. "I don't think I want to go to Hogsmeade anymore." He says, his voice detached.
I stare at him in disbelief. "You promised to go with me. It's Valentine's Day!"
"Go by yourself if you want to go so badly."
Alice gestures to the door and dashes out of the room. The door slams in her wake, disturbing the tension.
"So what? I'm going to be alone on Valentine's Day?" I ask hurtfully.
"Apparently."
I hate fighting with him. "Do you love me?" I ask.
He doesn't reply.
It's the moment that your heart falters, praying that he'll answer with the three words or even just a yes.
"Maybe." He whispers.
What happened to the yes? I've been so sure that he's loved me since December.
Tears fill my eyes and I look away. "Alright." I leave the room and hide in my bedroom. Not for the first Valentine's Day, I brawl my eyes out.
__________________
AN: DONT KILL ME!!! There is a reason behind this! I promise. I had a really hard time writing this. The next part of the story is going to be a bit darker, but bear with me! It will be happy again at some point.
So, I'd love to hear ur thoughts! Any ideas?
I hope you liked this chapter- I promise the chapters will be longer soon. Using a phone isn't the best way to update :/