Chapter Twenty-Five: The Ball

I spin in my dress in front of the mirror. I decided to wear the dress that my parents bought me. I touch up my makeup and smile slightly. I can't wait to see James' expression when he sees me in this dress.

I walk out of my room and down the stairs. I can hear laughter and faint music from here. James is standing at the bottom of the stairs with an impatient look on his face. He looks up at me and smiles. "You look beautiful."

"Thank you."

"No problem." He laces his fingers with mine. "Are you ready to be announced as the Potter's heir's girlfriend?" he asks with an amused smile.

"No," I laugh. "But, let's get over this."

"Remus?" Sirius shouts. He looks handsome with his dress robes, but he looks beyond tired.

"I'll be a minute." Remus calls back.

"Fussy, fussy," Sirius shouts back. He turns to us, "it's like he's dressing up for a girl."

James raises an eyebrow. "That would be news to me."

"What would be news to the famous James Potter?" Frank asks as he walks towards us with Alice on his arm. Alice's hair is flattened and looks longer than normal, since there are no spikes. She's wearing a simple violet dress.

"The fact that Remus John Lupin is dressing up for a girl." James declares.

Alice laughs. "Not likely."

I scowl at them. "Be nice!"

"Alright, woman, calm down!" Sirius holds his hands up.

"Who does Remus like anyways?" Frank asks.

"I wouldn't tell these people, Frank." Remus says.

"Why not, Moony?" James demands.

"Because if you tell the Marauders a secret-" Remus begins.

"It'll be around the school in an hour," Alice and I finish.

"I'm hurt that my girlfriend would say that," James says sarcastically.

"Kids! Hurry, the announcements are happening now."

We run, well as fast as you can run in heels, towards the ballroom. We wait patiently.

"Presenting Charlus and Dorea Potter!" a voice announces. Clapping.

We wait.

"Presenting Orion and Walburga Black."

Sirius' face darkens like a storm cloud.

"Sirius, calm down!" Remus commands. "We're next."

"Presenting Remus Lupin and Sirius Orion Black," the voice declares.

"I doubt Si will be happy about announcing his middle name." I comment.

"I agree."

Frank links his arm with Alice's.

"Presenting Frank Longbottom and Miss Alice Prewitt."

They disappear into the door.

"Are you ready?"

"Can I say no?" I ask with tiny smile.

"Too late, Lils." James grabs my arm and slides his around mine.

"Presenting James Charlus Potter and Miss Lily Marie Evans!"

James leads me into the room. "Smile." he whispers in my ear.