Chapter Thirteen

Dedicated to keebs95 for the banner for my story, "The Best Prank.". <33

___

  "Anything exciting happening at school?," I ask my best friend, Sarah.

I pop another piece of popcorn into my mouth. I was thankful that it was Friday. Sarah was going to go home in an  hour though. We had just finished watching a movie and it was only eight o'clock.

She flips through the channels on my living room television absentmindedly. "Not really. I'm ready for it to the end though."

"It can't be that bad."

"There's too much drama," she frowns, dropping the remote on the coffee table. "There's nothing else to watch."

A blonde male emerges from the stairs, flopping onto the recliner. He let's out a long sigh as he shuts his eyes. A silly grin makes it's way onto Sarah's face. She turns to me, raising an eyebrow. I shrug at her, and when we look over at him, he has one eye open in amusement.

He sits up. "I think I saw you in one of classes the other day, Blondie."

She giggles. "You're pretty blonde yourself," Sarah muses.

What a strange giggle. I peer over at her. Her blue eyes are shimmering in a knowing way as she looks at Justin. Her smile is a bit off as well. Sarah's smile seems a little more playful than it should.

"And yes, I was in your English class," she continues. "It seems a lot of girls thought you were kind of easy on the eyes."

A cocky expression plasters Itself onto Justin's face. "You're not too bad-looking yourself."

My mind wanders away from their conversation. I realize that I'm digging my finger nails into the couch. I move my hand to my lap. Why do I feel angry? Am I angry? What's wrong with me? I can't tell if Justin is just being his usual arrogant-self, or if he's flirting with my best friend. I've never seen Sarah act the way she is now. I have this feeling in my gut that she is flirting with him. I've been mad at someone before, but I don't think I'm angry. It's a mix of feelings. Could it be jealousy? I don't think I've been jealous over a person. Maybe something Lily got to do that I didn't, but nothing like this. He even said he thought she was cute one night. But--

My thoughts are interrupted by the tang of blood in my mouth. I had been biting down on the side of my tongue. I feel two pairs of eyes on me when I jump up and run to the kitchen.

"Aubrey?," Sarah calls, her voice no longer coming out in a drawl. She sounds worried now. "Are you okay?"

I grab a glass of water and rinse the disgusting taste from my mouth. I grab a paper towel to wipe my mouth. I hear Sarah's voice call to me again.

"I'm fine!," I assure her.

I easily ignore them as I strode by and go the downstairs bathroom. I shut the door behind me. I feel a little silly as I stick my tongue out at myself in the mirror. I examine the side of my tongue. There's just a little bite mark. It doesn't look like anything serious. It's really sad that I have to go check to make sure I didn't bite off half of my tongue, when  normal person can just decide for themselves by the amount of pain they have. I brush my teeth to make sure the taste of blood is out of my mouth for sure.

I blink at myself in the mirror for a moment. Blue eyes are staring in blue. Does Sarah like him? Does he like her? It would all make since. Sarah's blue eyes are a shade darker and prettier than mine. She's blonde, tan, and fun. We're pretty much opposites. It's a wonder we like each other. It feels like a ton of bricks drop into my stomach when I realize that she's everything I'm not. It also brings me to the realization that I have to like Justin at least a little bit to feel like this. With a sigh, I push myself away from the counter and go back into the front room.