Chapter Thirty-Two

My head is heavy when my eyes open. When they open, they do not meet sunlight. I hesitantly remove the blanket from my face. The sunlight does not like my eyes. I remove my headphones. I must have run the battery in the CD player down, because I hear no more music. I realize what has awoken me. My cell phone trills from my pea coat. I had left the coat on the floor. This has to be the millionth time it has rang. My eyes are still moist with tears. When did I fall asleep? What day is it? I sit up when I have the sudden urge to pee.

I fish my phone out of the pocket of the coat. "Hello?," I answer, sounding tired.

"Aubrey," my dad answers, sounding relieved. "Why haven't you been answering your phone? Ella came by, but you had the door locked. We thought that you... that you hurt yourself," his voice lowers considerably.

My eyes widen in surprise. "What? No. What day is it?"

He sounds bemused. "It's Tuesday," he tells me.

"It's December now?"

"Yes?," his response sounds like a question.

I stand up. "I was just laying here, I guess. I didn't feel the need to get up," I tell him honestly, patting my stomach as it growls.

"You were laying there for nearly three days? I find it hard to believe you did nothing but that all this time. If you're ignoring us-"

"I'm not," I cut him off. "I was just sad. I remember waking up a couple times. I just couldn't bring myself to move," I explain. "Look, Dad I'm really hungry. Can I let you go?"

"Uh, yeah. We tried to call ahead of time, but you weren't answering. And, uh, we dropped off your truck in the parking lot. The keys are behind the plant in the hallway."

He really did die then. I was hoping that he turned out to be okay. I can't believe I laid on this couch for two days, nearly three. I didn't drink or eat anything. I must have been in a very dark place. I didn't even notice the phone or the knocks on the door. I really have to pee.

"I'm sorry, Dad."

"The funeral is today, in about an hour..."

My throat constricts. "I regret looking at Justin when he was pinned to that tree. I don't want to see him again. I'd rather keep my memories of him being alive and happy. I can't go to his funeral. If I go... I-I don't think I can handle it."

"Aubrey," he cuts in. "We won't force you to go."

My heart stops, then beats faster than before. "Thank you. I'll come see you guys later."

I hear the smile in his voice. "We'd like that. Your mother especially."

....

I drive to the Oklahoma County Jail. It feels nice to drive somewhere without being in a rush. I find a space to park, then exit my vehicle. I enter the intimidating building, ready to talk to him. I don't plan to yell. I just need to know.

I approach the front desk. "Um, I need to visit someone."

The woman behind the desks politely asks me a few questions. I answer them, and then I am escorted down the hall by a male police officer.

"Are you family?"

"Er, a friend," I lie.

"He is probably going to be moved to a prison. He's still awaiting a trial."

"Oh," I answer, not sure what to say.

I remember when Justin teased me for saying oh so much. I frown slightly.