Chapter Seventeen

Banner was created by VengeanceSurvivor for another story of mine. :)

 ___

  I hesitate for a brief moment before knocking lightly on my mother's door. She never did tell Justin and I our punishment, but I'm not complaining. I do think that I should check on her before dad comes to bed though.

"Come in," she calls.

I open the door, stepping in and shutting it behind me. "Hey," I breathe.

"Hi," she responds absentmindedly.

She's sitting at her pale white vanity next to her window. She appears to be tying off the end of her braided hair. I move to sit on the bed next to her. We make eye contact through her mirror, my blue eyes to her darker blue eyes.

"Are you still upset?", I ask quietly.

She sighs, adverting her eyes away from mine. She looks stressed and worn out.

"Yes."

"Look, I'm really sorry about what happened earlier today. But mom, you look really tired and I don't think that all of this excess stress is good for you. And I--"

"Aubrey," she frowns, turning to look at me. "It's not just that. I forgive you and Justin. Just please promise me that there will be no more acting out. Things haven't been going well. Promise me that you won't make anymore trouble for me and your father."

Acting out? Me? That's out of my character. What is that stupid blonde turning me into? I suppose I have been acting out, but she only knows about the dog thing. That wasn't really something I had control over though. There's things she doesn't know about. Sneaking out, going to that party, and probably other things I wouldn't normally do. This isn't like me. I've always been the good girl. The obedient girl. I have been acting out. I need to promise her I'll do better. I need to reassure her. I don't want to disappoint my own mother.

I consider telling her about everything that happened behind her back, but decide against it. I promised Justin I wouldn't tell and it would disappoint my mother even further. But there's something else causing her stress. But what? 

"Things haven't been going well."  What does that mean?, I think to myself.

"I promise," I give her a reassuring look. "But what else are you upset about?"

The flicks her blonde bangs from her forehead. She stands in her always so graceful movements, and goes to sit next to me on her blue-covered bed. She looks up at the ceiling in thought, as if she's thinking of what to say.

"You know how I work in the criminal law?"

I nod, confused. "Yes..."

My parents are both lawyers. My father works in the family law, and my mother is a criminal defense attorney. Where is she going with this? She doesn't usually discuss her work with me.

"Well, I was defending this young man who apparently broke into a some a woman's house. He has been charged with manslaughter because the woman had a heart attack," she swallows nervously. "Her name was Katherine Howell."

My eyes widen. "That's Justin's mom! Y-Your best friend!"

She fiddles with the end of her braid, twirling it in her small fingers. She seems unsure of what to say next. I knew Katherine had a heart attack, but I didn't know how it happened for sure.

I blink rapidly, shocked. "Do you think he did it?"

"I don't know," she says quietly.

"You're being very vague, Mom. Katherine died over a month ago. Why did this happen sooner?"