Chapter Nineteen

Lily sits in the hall with me until the bell rings. I've calmed down now. I consider apologizing to Ashley for pouring milk on her, but the decide against it. I couldn't bring myself to forgive her for talking about Lily right in front of my face, knowing that she is my sister.

"Hey," Lily speaks before I can walk away. "I really am sorry about this morning. And your welcome to sit with me tomorrow... If you want."

I smile. "Thanks."

The rest of the day passes by quickly. I'm happy that I don't have any classes with Ashley, or with Sarah. I don't want to talk to her just yet. My last hour, gym, both Nathan and Justin are there. We play volley ball, but I've never really played any sports. Shocker! My mom never wanted me playing sports. I vaguely wonder if she is aware that I have gym class. It is probably best to not tell her.

Lily use to play volley ball when she was younger, so I do have an inkling of how to play. However, volley ball is not my forte. I roll my eyes as Nathan and Justin make fun of me.

It's my turn to serve again. I pick up the ball, holding it out in front of me. I swing my arm back, the bring it forward. I miss the ball completely, causing people around me to snicker. I scowl at our coach who is also laughing. I guess I can't excel in all of my classes. Ella didn't teach me anything about sports. I know I can figure this out though. I get my head-strong attitude from my father, and my stubbornness from my mom. I'm not going to quit that easily.

I try to serve the ball again. It flies this time. Unfortunately, It doesn't make it over the net, granting the other team a point. I'm relieved to rotate out of the serving position. The ball doesn't seem to be coming my way. Nathan, who is on my team, smiles warmly at me, before looking forward again. I nod at him in acknowledgement. I look over at Justin on the other team. I remember what Nathan told me about him. Could he really like me?

I am suddenly knocked backwards by an unknown force. I don't fall, but I stumble backwards a little. The volley ball bounces on the floor in front of me. I should probably be paying attention. I look over at the other team in annoyance. Justin is laughing at me. I pick the volley ball up.

"You okay, Aubrey?," Mr. Baker asks me.

"Yeah," I respond. "It didn't really hurt," I say dryly, rolling the ball back to the other team.

I'm relieved when gym is over, but also agitated. I hate that I couldn't get the hang of the game. There is always next time though. You're just hitting a ball over a net. How hard could it be?

"So, what did Justin think?," Nathan asks out of no where as I walk out of the gym.

I whirl around. "About what?"

Nathan gives me an isn't-it-obvious look. "Remember?," he frowns. "I told you he likes you."

I roll my eyes. "You thought I was going to tell him?"

"Duh," the dark-haired guy snorts.

I cross my arms. "I never said I liked him back, Nathan."

"But you do, right?"

I purse my lips, shrugging slowly. "I don't know. I've never really had a crush on anyone. I guess I just never thought about stuff like that."

Nathan raises his eyebrows. "I find it hard to believe that you've never liked anyone. Unless you lived under a rock all you life," he jokes.

I give him a wry smile. He doesn't know how close to right he is.

"What are you two talking about?," Justin asks, stepping out of the gym.

Nathan smirks. "I was just complimenting Aubrey on her volley ball skills," he says sarcastically.

I give him a flat look, the decide to leave. I want to go home. Ella is probably waiting. Ella is not able to take us to school in the morning, but she can get us after school, when she's working for my mother.