Chapter Twenty-Eight

After Justin and I fight over who is driving my truck, we set off for school. I end up driving due to my stubbornness. I slept very well last night. I'm eager to return to school. I can see Lily. I miss her already.

"Aubrey!", Nathan gushes when I enter the classroom. "Have you come to grace us with your presence?," he teases.

The class turns to look at us. I ignore them, and they all go back to talking after a moment. I take a seat next to him. His blue eyes look accusatory. "Where have you and Justin been?"

"Er, ask Justin," I suggest, not wanting to explain our Lee situation.

He is about to argue, but the sound of the bell cuts him off. I am grateful for it. My morning passes by without difficulty. Learning has never been a problem with me. I absorb information like a sponge absorbs water. And I usually don't forget things very easily. If there is one thing I am confident about, it's my brains.

....

I go over to my sister when lunch time rolls around. She gives me warm greeting. I can tell she misses me. I am shocked. I always thought she'd be glad to have me out of the house. Before I can really start a conversation with her, I hear someone calling my name.

"Aubrey!," a familiar dark-haired boy calls.

"Um," I mumble. "I'll call you tonight, sis."

"Okay," Lily sighs, turning back to her friends at her table.

I saunter over to Nathan's table. He is with Justin and some other people I do not know. Justin is pinching the bridge of his nose in irritation.

"I shouldn't have mentioned it. I'll never hear the end of this."

"Of what?," I raise an eyebrow.

Nathan grins at me, his dimple indenting into his flawless skin. "Why didn't you tell me Justin is your boyfriend?"

A smile breaks out across my face. My boyfriend. I like the way that sounds. I give him a small shrug, an awkward smile remains on my face.

"Aww," Nathan teases. "No wonder you like her. She's adorable."

"Well, thank you," I respond in a sing-song voice.

Justin pulls out an empty chair next to him. "Just sit," he sighs, running a hand through his hair.

I oblige, then turn to look at him. "Are you in one of your moods again today?"

He turns to glare at me, indirectly answering my question. "What the hell is that suppose to mean?"

One of the guys sitting at the table laughs. "I don't see what you see in Justin. He's an ass."

Justin rolls his eyes. I zone out when they all decide to banter with one another. I look around the cafeteria. Sarah's blue eyes meet mine and she smiles awkwardly. I give her a slight nod. My smile is obviously forced. I'm not really mad at Sarah anymore. I can't tell who she can and can't hang around with. Even if they are extremely cynical and shallow. I shake my head quickly. I shouldn't judge people like that. I mentally scold myself.

I take every opportunity to talk to Lily throughout the day. I ask about our parents and Ella. She tells me that Mom has been very impassive. Dad is beside himself with anguish. Guilt runs through me again. I let Justin drive us home today.

....

"You know, I don't want you to think that you can't go home. They're your family, Aubrey. I can tell that you miss them," Justin murmurs as we step into the apartment.

"I told you," I frown. "My mom doesn't want me there."

"I highly doubt that. She just got mad."

I cross my arms, turning to look at him. He's closer than I expected. "Look," I glare. "If you don't want me here, I'll leave-"