Chapter Fifteen

"My mom called the school this morning. They've asked to talk to Ella and myself. We're going to talk to the principal when she goes to get Lily and Justin. If all goes well, I might be there tomorrow," I say in an excited rush.

Sarah let's out something that sounds like a squeal. "That's... that's amazing! I've always wondered what it would be like to have you in class. How did you get your mom to agree with this?," she asks in disbelief.

I grin into my cell phone. "I said some pretty bold things and my dad helped talk her into to it."

"I hope I see you at school, Aubrey!  But I have to go right now. I have to get home."

"Bye, Sarah."

"Bye," she responds, hanging up.

Tucking my phone away, I find myself feeling ecstatic. I glance over at my mirror to see a huge smile on my face. Before I know what I'm doing, I'm making goofy faces at my reflection. I giggle just as Ella walks in.

"Are you ready?," she asks, clearly amused.

I give her a sheepish grin. "Yeah."

"Let's go then," she laughs.

"Wait, Ella?"

She turns. "Yes, dear?"

I shift on my feet. "You're not upset that I want to go to high school, are you?"

She waves her hands out in front of her, shaking her head. "Of course not! I think it will be a positive thing for you. I'll still get to see you. I have more time to get the house picked up and everything."

I smile. "Okay, good. I just didn't want you mad at me."

"I couldn't be mad at you, Aubrey. Now, let's go."

.....

After talking to Mrs. Blackwell, Ella and I make our way back to her car. I'm going to go to high school tomorrow. I can't believe she let me come in on senior year. Mrs. Blackwell really seemed to be fond of me. She had said that I appear to be a bright girl. She thinks I won't have any trouble with my classes. Ella is a great teacher. She taught me everything that someone my age was suppose to be learning as I grew up. I hope the principal is right. What if I'm not as smart in a normal school, than with a private teacher? I had managed to receive necessary credits while learning form Ella, but what if I can't handle this? I shake my head quickly. I like to think that I'm a smart girl. I can do this. I can do this, but that doesn't mean I won't have butterflies the whole way.

Ella slides in the driver's seat as I slip into the passenger seat. Lily gives me a bored look. I ignore her, snapping my seat belt. I glanced down at the folded schedule in my hand. I wonder if Justin will help me find my classes. If not, Sarah probably will. I know Lily won't want to bother with me. She likes to do her own thing.

Justin sighs. "It's about time you got back. What were you all talking about anyway. Aubrey doesn't even go to this school."

I grimace. He really needs to watch his tone. Ella ignores his pushiness, easily pulling out of the parking lot and starting home.

"We weren't gone that long," she chuckles. "And I don't want anymore fussing about going to school tomorrow morning. Aubrey will make sure you're up, won't you dear?"

I force a smile, remembering how it went last time I woke him up for school. "Sure."

"Wait," Lily cuts in. "What were you talking to the school about? Was it about me? I told mom I'd bring my grade up in Spanish."

Ella smiles. "Aubrey will tell you if she wants you to know."

I turn to look in the backseat when I feel two pairs of eyes on me. "I'm walking to school with you two tomorrow."