Chapter 2 - Dreading It

Katie's P.O.V

"Open." My doctor ordered.
I opened my mouth and he looked inside.
I made a deal with my dad. I'd give talking a try, and he'd let me buy 10 energy drinks. Why not, right?

Considering that fact that I hadn't spoken in a long time, Brenna dragged me to the doctors.
Dad has no idea. He thinks we went shopping, so before this, me and Brenna went shopping and I bought a shit ton of band merch, 2 posters and 3 new CD's. Let's just say... I'm really happy right now!

"Say ahh." The doctor ordered.
"A-a-a-ahhhhhh." I sounded bad.
"OK... It seems, as she doesn't talk much, her throat...." I stopped listening. I know what he's gonna say. My throat isn't used to the talking, so it's all rough and croaky and the only way to fix it is-

"... to simply give talking a try." The doctor ended.
"OK. How long do you think it'll take for her to properly talk?" Brenna asked.
Well that was worded badly.

"Approximately, 2 weeks if we talk a little everyday." Dr what's-his-face told us.
Wait, whose the 'we'? I'm the one who doesn't speak. There's no 'we'! Why do people talk like that? I don't understand!!!

"2 weeks? Fantastic. Alright, thank you." Brenna smiled standing up.
"Of course and Katie, I don't want to see you again. You're a healthy girl, you shouldn't stay in silence." The doctor replied.

Let me have him!
I gave him 2 fingers, but Brenna dragged me out, trying not to laugh.
I climbed in her car and looked at her.
"It could of been worse." She said.

I sighed. I'm already dreading this. I have to talk a little everyday. What will my dad say? What do I say? What would my mum say? I wonder what the first thing my mom said to my dad was?
I'm getting sick of all the questions...

Brenna dropped me off at home and came in with me.
We walked into the kitchen, where dad just happened to be with the rest of Slipknot. Great...

"How much stuff did you get?" Sid asked, looking at the 4 bags Brenna had and the 2 I had.
I shrugged, about to walk off, when Brenna thought she'd be funny.
"Yeah, Katie. How much stuff did we actually buy?" She smiled.

I sighed and looked at her, with my 'I-hate-you' face.
I dropped my bags and held up two fingers with both hands, then held up my middle finger with both hands. It equalled 6!

Brenna laughed and let me go, giving me my bags.
I walked upstairs and dumped all my new stuff out on the bed, folding the t-shirts and piling them in my chest of draws.

Corey's P.O.V

"What was that about?" I laughed with the guys.
"Nothing. I've just been trying to get her to speak, for the last hour." Brenna said.
"Right, well... Katie's coming on the tour, if you guys can get her to speak, even just one word, everyday, I'll do it!" I told the guys.
"Do what?" Brenna asked, sitting at the island table, next to Sid.

"You'll see." I smiled.
She nodded and the guys smiled. I owed this to Cortney.

~

2 hours later and everyone was gone. I heard Katie playing music upstairs.
I lay on the sofa and listened.

"I wont let this build up inside of me! I wont let this build up inside of me!" I mumbled.
She played this song a lot. Almost everyday... Mind you it was a favourite to her friends... Was it Chase? I think it was.

I sighed and ran my hands over my face. I got up and walked upstairs to Katie's room.
I knocked on her door and heard the music pause, letting me know I could come in.
Opening the door, I find Katie sat in her bed, cross legged, chewing on her Batman hoodie sleeve.

"Hey. Wondering if you're alright... You play the same song again and again." I smiled, weakly.
She nodded and grabbed her notepad, off the floor. She started to write, so I waited patiently.
"I'm OK... It's just you want me to start talking and I don't know what to say. Plus, that song reminds me of my friends." She wrote.

"Even saying 'hello' is good enough for me." I smiled.
"But I'm scared..." She wrote.
I sighed and walked in her room, sitting on the bed with her.

"You're mom was scared too. The first thing she ever said to me was 'I hate my voice.' I was surprised, but everyday I spent with her, it was like she didn't need a voice. Times got hard and, in the end, I was really... the only one who heard her speak, because she trusted me. She never said a lot, but she gave it her all. Your mom was the best thing I ever had, so if you don't know what to say, then say what you think. Anything off the top of your head." I smiled, poking Katie's cheek at the end.

She nodded and thought for a second.
It was true about Cortney's first words to me. She said she hated her voice. I'll never forget the day I met her. One of the best days ever.

"I-I miss mom." Katie stuttered out, quietly.
I smiled and nodded. "Me too. Everyday."
Katie nodded and smiled a bit. "She m-missed you."
"I missed her too... and you. She was right, though. Slipknot were making it big and that was no life for a little girl to grow up with. Now however..." I smiled.
She smiled and nodded, staying silent.

I smiled and walked over to the door.
"Hey... Want pizza?" I asked.
Katie smiled and nodded, happily.
I smiled back and walked out, closing her door behind me.

I got to the top of the stairs and heard Katie playing her music again.
"Inside my shell, I wait and bleed."
I smiled and walked downstairs. Cortney's favourite song.