Chapter 5 - Slow Progress

Corey's P.O.V

I sat on the sofa writing lyrics. I started thinking about Katie, when I heard the back door open and close. I can't really imagine not talking for so long. It must be hard when you really want to tell someone something. Cortney hated her voice, but Katie just didn't speak, 'cause Cortney didn't. I know she probably doesn't want to speak, but she has to try. 5 words everyday isn't that much.

I walked to the kitchen and stood by the window. Katie was having her own little party. She had her headphones on, as she was skateboarding. Sid and Mick got her a small skateboarding ramp, at the bottom of the garden. She started skateboarding when she was 5. Someone must of taught her, cause I only remember Chase and Scotty knowing how to Skateboard. Cortney knew how to skateboard as well and that made me laugh. Katie was so much like Cortney.

I chuckled to myself, grabbing me a drink from the fridge. I wrote down a couple of lyrics that came to mind, when I heard a crash and a scream. I stopped and looked up, out the window.

"Katie!" I called, running out back.
She was lying in the floor, holding her arm, crying silently. I ran over and got her up.
"Hospital, now." I told her.
I grabbed her jacket and took her headphones, as she walked through the house. Her arm looked bad.

I made her a makeshift cast, out of her jacket and drove us to the hospital. Katie wouldn't stop crying, she was in so much pain and it hurt to see. I remember when Cortney went to hospital. I just wanted to trade places with her.
I sighed and focused on the road. Brenna. I should ring Brenna. Katie would want Brenna.

I glanced at my phone and called Brenna, putting her on speaker. I looked at Katie and back at the road.

Brenna: What's up, Corey? I'm out shopping, need anything?

Corey: Brenna, Katie broke her arm. I'm taking her to hospital.

Brenna: What? I'm on my way!

Corey: Thank you!

I hung up and turned right, for the hospital. I don't know why I thanked Brenna, just then. Maybe it's because she's been a huge help with Katie? I don't know, but it felt right to just thank her.

~

I sat with Katie in the waiting room. Brenna walked in and sighed, happily, when she saw us. She sat next to Katie and pouted.
"What happened?" She asked.
"She was-"
"Skating. I fell off my board." Katie mumbled, cutting me off. I guess those are her words for the day.

Brenna sighed. "You gotta be carful, sweetie."
Katie nodded and sniffed.
"Katie Taylor!" A doctor called.
We got up and followed him. Katie got x rayed and casted up. She never said anything to anyone, which gave me some hope. She was OK. She broke her arm, but she was OK.

~

I drove me and her home, with Brenna following in her car, behind us. Katie pulled out her phone and text one of her friends. No one had spoken to her in a while, but she still sent messages to them, in hopes they'd read them.
I started to think of Cortney again. She used to text me a lot. It was funny. I bet her a Paul were being a couple of idiots, up in the afterlife. I like to imagine that. Them two just chilling out and being the best friends they once were.

~

That evening Katie lay on the sofa, looking sadly at her cast. 6 weeks she had to keep that on for. Brenna sat by her feet and I sat on the floor, by her.
"Everybody say 'Hi, Katie'." I spoke up.
Brenna laughed a bit. "Hi, Katie!"
Katie smiled a little.
"You broke your fucking arm, Katie." I smiled.
"You broke your fucking arm, Katie!" Brenna smiled with me.
Katie laughed.

We just spent the evening watching movies. Well... Trying too. Brenna and Katie were nudging each other, so that lead to Brenna asking what was happening in the film every 5 minutes.

(A/N - 666 Words. Fuck yes!)