Mercer x Argonian Dragonborn! Reader

(Idea from Dustywish ! Thank you so much and enjoy!)

"Here you are Mercer."

Brynjolf said, placing several antique items on his desk. The older Thief looked down at them, cocking an eyebrow. Who caught such valuable items?

"Who stole these?"

Mercer said, examining an expensive ring.

"(Name)."

Mercer almost dropped the ring. The Argonian did this?! Mercer scoffed.

"That lizard lady couldn't steal a sweet roll from a guard, how did she get this?"

"She stole it, just like you would."

Brynjolf walked away, but before he left the main room he glanced over his shoulder.

"Oh, and Mercer. Maybe you shouldn't doubt her so much, that lass is capable of a lot more than you think."

(Name) hummed a song as she cleaned. Her Thieves Guild armor was caked in mud, and she sought to wipe it off. Using the water source near the bar in the Thieves Guild hideout, she scrubbed at the filth. The Argonian wore a simple (fav color) blouse and (color) shorts while she worked. Her (scale color) scales glistened from the water splashing on her while she scrubbed. Using her talons, she was able to scrape off the hard parts. The water quickly became clouded brown, but no one drank from it anyways. Finally, the mud was off and the armor looked good as new. (Name) began to polish it when a voice said.

"How did you get this?"

Most would've jumped, but after being in the Thieves Guild for a year (Name) got used to Mercer popping out of nowhere.

"I stole it from a blacksmith near Riverwood, he was stocked up with wealth."

There was a bit of silence afterwards, and (Name)'s tail twitched at the tip. Finally, Mercer broke the silence.

"May I come with you on a job?"

(Name) was quite shocked to say the least, but she answered quite eagerly.

"Yes!"

Three hours later

"So why did you join the Thieves Guild?"

Mercer asked his Argonian partner as they walked to their next job. The target was in Windhelm, a jeweler who was very successful. The mission was to 'rid of her extra spoils', so that was where they were heading. The trek wouldn't be long, only a day of walking which was nothing compared to the five day hike to Solitude. Mercer, despite his grumpy personality, decided to spark a conversation to pass time.

"I joined because I wanted to free myself of my past duties. My last job was very stressful and a lot of people depended on me. I joined the Guild so that I could be a bit more on my own, away from social life and 'in the shadows' heh heh."

(Name) answered, looking at the road ahead. Mercer glanced at her, and by the way her eyes dilated he could tell she was anxious.

"What was your past job?"

He asked, trying to lift the weight from her shoulders. If it bothered her, he would carry the burden as well. The (scale color) woman didn't look at him, instead she nervously twiddled her thumbs.

"I-I'd rather not say.."

Mercer dropped the question, if she didn't want to talk that was fine. He had parts of his past that he wished not to share, but he couldn't help but wonder what her past was. Was she harmed, threatened, raped? Dozens of problems rushed through the Thief's head, but they stopped when a large shadow passed over them. Immediately, (Name) gasped and looked up. A bronze Elder dragon circled them from above, spotting them quickly. It roared, turning sharply to make the circle smaller.

Mercer looked around, they stood in a meadow and out in the open. The nearest cover was a pine forest a good quarter mile away... Figures.

"Run!"

He commanded, and the two thieves ran. The roar of the dragon made (Name)'s heart race, and she kept glancing back at the beast. It was now flying after them, angling its wings so it was gliding closer to the ground. It roared, parting its jaws and spewing out a fireball. The flames rocketed towards them, hitting the ground just a few yards to the right of Mercer. (Name) growled, furrowing her 'brow' in anger. Twisting around, she quickly drew her bow (let's say you're an archer), and fired an arrow at the reptile. It shot towards its face, flawlessly burrowing into its cheek. Karma however chose to strike right at that moment, and Mercer stumbled over a rock. He hissed in pain as he fell forward, scrapping his palms on the earth and his ankle twisted. (Name) noticed, and rushed to his aid. She crouched by him, anxiously scanning him for worse injuries. His hands bled from scratches, dirt and grime already entering the wounds. Suddenly, a flash came from behind (Name). The dragon had fired another fireball. It came at them quickly, there was no time to run. Mercer prepared for impact, trying to grab at the Argonian to shield her with his body. However, she stood firmly in front of him. She stared at the fireball, growled, and took a deep breath.

"Fus Ro DAH!"

She shouted, the Unrelenting Force hitting the ball and sending it back at the dragon. It hit the dragon's gut, knocking it from the sky and causing it to fall to the ground. Mercer stared in disbelief as (Name) drew a sword and rushed at the fallen beast. It groaned in agony as it struggled to sit up. (Name) leapt onto its shoulders, crawling up to its head. Shimmying up its long neck, the Argonian held on tightly as the Elder Dragon swung its head. Digging in with her talons, she continued up to the beast's head. A particular toss of its snout loosened her grip on the blade, making it fly off. (Name) didn't seem bothered though, and continued to pull herself up onto its head. Gripping onto the horns of its skull, (Name) held on one last time as the dragon gave another effort to throw her off. However, to both Mercer and the Dragon's surprise, (Name) grabbed onto both the dragon's upper and lower jaws. The dragon roared, trying to fight her off. (Name) began to pry its jaws apart, forcing its mouth open. The struggle was clear, the Elder's jaws clenched as it tried to close them while the Argonian's biceps bulged as she fought it. Shakily, the jaws finally opened enough. Bringing her head back, (Name) opened her mouth and sucked in air. A glow came from within her, and it grew brighter by the second. Suddenly, (Name) threw her head down and shot a beam of fire into the dragon's throat. The beast tensed, it's entire body freezing as unknown fire entered it. It's stomach region began to smoke, then crisp over. It was burning from the inside out. It's bronze scales turned charcoal black, and in a puff it crumbled into ashes. All that remained was its burnt skeleton.

(Name) released its jaws, letting the skull crumble to the floor. Stepping away from the dragon, she took a calming breath and closed her eyes. An amber glow came from the ash pile, swirling around (Name) in strands. They absorbed into her scales, disappearing after a few seconds. The Argonian opened her eyes, they flashed a fiery color before turning back to her natural (eye color). She turned to face Mercer, who lay in shock. With a giggle, she said.

"That, is why I don't speak of my past."