~ Chapter Seven: NERO

Chapter Seven

NERO

Dare Enterprises - December 4th

The twins' fifth birthday

"What was so important that you had to call me out on my children's birthday, Rachel?"

Percy Jackson sat at the head of the long black table in the large business room. He was dressed formally, in a black suit with a crisp white shirt and a black tie. His cuffs were pinned back with the same golden cufflinks he had worn on his wedding day. Aged twenty-four now, Percy was a rising figure in the celebrity world as a personal trainer, but also taught sword-fighting and other combat activities daily at a summer camp for... unique children.

Rachel Elizabeth Dare sat opposite, in a more casual attire of a grey pencil skirt and a red silk blouse. Her auburn hair was straightened and plaited to the side, and her green eyes were outlined with dark pencil and smoky eyeshadow. She smiled dazzlingly, showing off her newly-set glamorous teeth. She was the most famous businesswoman around, owning Dare Enterprises after her father passed away when she was eighteen. She was just over a year older than Percy, but she acted much older, unlike the fourteen-year-old Percy had met all those years ago.

"Tell the children I wish them a very happy birthday," she said politely. "My present should've been posted yesterday morning, meaning it will presumably arrive by tomorrow afternoon in the mail. I do hope that Esme likes jewellery and Nerovian likes tractors. Otherwise, they will be very disappointed young people."

Percy nodded. "I'm sure they will. Um, look, Rachel - I've only got half an hour. I told Annabeth this was strictly professional for clientele. Which it is, right?"

"If you want the honest truth, Percy, then I cannot lie." Rachel sighed and stood up, walking down the room towards Percy. "I cannot conceal my feelings towards you much longer."

Percy felt his face flush scarlet. "U-um, feelings?"

"Yes. You see, I am deeply and irrevocably in love with you."

The words shocked Percy to the core. Rachel said it with no emotion, like she'd rehearsed the lines a thousand times and couldn't quite get to grips with the whole idea.

"If I could control it, then I most certainly would. You'd be anyone's last choice, if I must confess. You've never really been husband material."

"Annabeth seems to disagree!" Percy snapped, utterly uncomfortable with everything his friend had just confessed.

Rachel scowled. "That's always been the problem, Percy. Annabeth. You always loved her, right when we first met, yet you never quite admitted it to yourself until I pushed you away. But I pushed you away because you were too young, too immature, and you loved her. She was the centre of your world and you led me along like a little lost puppy, giving me hope!

"Nobody had ever loved me like I thought you did. My father showed me compulsory love - meaning he only did because he had to and he had no choice. My mother was long gone, not that she'd been much better. All I wanted was to be loved by someone who I could share everything with.

"And that person was you, Percy Jackson. You were so much like me; impulsive, creative... and looking for a getaway. I gave you that. We had fun. There were moments when you could've kissed me. But you didn't.

"No matter. There is time now."

Suddenly, Rachel pounced on Percy like a hungry panther, her hands working at the jacket of Percy's suit. He pushed her off, furiously panting as they stood and faced each other, Rachel looking hurt.