~ Chapter Twenty-Three: NERO

NERO

It was easy escaping Camp Half-Blood but it sure had its repercussions. Zarah and Adam set up a trap to stop the harpies following us - Adam controlled the earth and made a three-foot deep hole and grew over it grass and leaves. He then set up a miniature raincloud secluded by the tree branches, and Zarah hid a lightning bolt inside the vapour. Anyone who stepped through the trap would be shocked with a current powerful enough to set you unconscious.

"What if demigods are set after us?" I asked.

Zarah rolled her eyes. "Then boom, they'll join the harpies in Snoozeland for a bit. Stop fussing, Nero."

She was being rude again. Unwelcoming. As we'd left I'd smiled at her and she just spun round on her heel. What was going on?

One minute she liked me and was kissing me. The next, it was like I was some smelly oaf she was ignoring.

Adam hung back with me as Zarah went to 'deal with' the guard dragon Peleus. Adam had his powers and I had an amazing sword Leo had made for me, but Zarah offered to do it.

Adam waited until she was out of earshot.

"Mate," he said, "she's not worth it. She had a thing with Joey when she first came. Then, believe it or not, she tried it on with me."

"Shut up," I muttered.

"Nero, I'm trying to help you, bud. Zarah's bad news. She was actually about to kiss me, I think, when she got a phone call. Answered it. Hung up. And said, 'Hmm, you're not the one they were after.'"

I froze. "What?"

"Yeah. Apparently, she said the same to Joey."

"And were you planning to reciprocate?"

Adam gagged. "As if! Zarah's okay but she's a total cow. I like a laugh but there's something manipulative and cunning about her."

"So Joey liked her?" 

"Joey freaking loved her," Adam said with a grin.

I stuck my hands in my pockets. I was wearing grey cargo pants and a white slim tee. Adam had given me an old red beanie of his, saying it had been his style before he realised the 'joy' of baseball caps. It sat nicely over my dark scruffy hair.

I glanced over at Adam. He had black hair like mine, and bright green eyes. I remembered the lad from the past with blonde locks and irises like sapphires. Who was he?

Adam stared back. Don't, I could hear him thinking. Don't ask me, cuz I know what you're thinking. Don't.

Then, Get the bloody hell out, Nero!

I shrugged in apology. He straightened his jacket - leather, over a grey t-shirt and dark jeans and sneakers - and walked after Zarah. I could see her, standing over Peleus. I could see what she was doing.

I focused my mind on hers and yelled, STOP!

Something bounced back. My head throbbed. Again. Zarah, STOP IT!

She didn't. I ran over, sword aloft. It was a beautiful weapon, and its proper term was katana. It was a lethal two-metre curved sword, silver with a brown leather grip and the Greek alphabet scripted along the blade.

Zarah spun round and stopped the electricity. Her eyes narrowed. "You gonna use that on me?" she snarled.

"Don't make me," I snapped. "You're torturing him!"