~ Chapter Twenty-Seven: ESME

Chapter Twenty-Seven:

ESME

I stroked my hands along the leather. It was soft, like butter, curling in my hands. I loved it.

"And I can wear this?" I asked.

Kheo nodded, smiling beautifully. "Of course you can, Borne Six. It's yours."

The bodysuit was black and full-length, comfortable and fitting over my limbs. I felt slim and at ease. My force fields were magnified and my invisibility was strengthened - I couldn't be detected.

I felt amazing.

Master watched me in anticipation as I tried out my heightened powers. He murmured lowly to Kheo, who came over.

"Borne Four arrived twenty-one minutes ago," she confirmed. "He's demanding to see you, saying he's sure you're here."

I got up. "He may have five minutes of my time if he so requests."

Tugging my blonde curls into a loose ponytail, I followed Kheo down a corridor, back to the experiment room. Adam Grimshaw was strapped in tightly.

"Esme!" he gasped. His eyes widened. "Wow, what are you... um, wearing?"

I blushed a little, despite myself. I knew my figure was being emphasised in this outfit. Then I growled.

"I'm not human!" I screamed at myself and Adam.

He frowned. "Esme, please, we've got to go! What's wrong with you?"

I watched with a strange kind of glee as his face dropped. "Oh my god, Es. What have they done to you?"

Adam was laying on a table with thick black strips, trapping him. He had miniature rainclouds above his head, zapping small lighting bolts against the machines, but it wasn't working.

"Es, it's me," he whispered. "Remember? We, um... well. I'm not sure what we are, exactly."

"We're the same," I said, entranced. "We will be. Soon. Don't worry anymore."

"What the f-"

"It's okay." I ran to his side, kneeling down and grabbing his hand tightly. "It's okay, Adam, I remember us!"

"You... you do?" The relief was clear in his face. I was equally as ecstatic.

"Yes, yes, of course!" I stroked his scruffy black hair. "I should call you Borne Four really, but only in front of the others. But that's all right. We'll be together soon."

"Together?" Adam spluttered. "Esme, wait..."

"No, no, no time!" I snarled. "Just hang on, please, just a second!"

I jumped up to the machine. The screen was beeping steadily. I looked over at Adam, who was terrified. Trying to be reassuring, I smiled. He didn't smile back.

"It's okay," I repeated lightly. "Don't worry, Adam. We'll be fine, believe me, promise."

I flipped a random switch. Immediately, the machine went crazy, beeping and zigzagging across the screen. Adam struggled harder.

"Esme!" he howled. "Shit, let me go! Oh Christ, oh my god... Esme please, crap, oh my god..."

He continued to curse, kicking and clenching his fingers tightly. He yelled and growled.

All of the commotion brought Master in, with Kheo in tow. His eyes widened.

"Borne Six!" His arms wrapped around my waist and hauled me away from the machine. I tripped and smashed my nose against the metal floor. Blood poured from both nostrils.

Chadwick tapped the keyboard. Eventually the machine shut up, but spasms convulsed up and down Adam's body.

"Is he like me?" I asked desperately. "We just wanted to be together..."

"What is this, some dramatic love story?" Master thundered. He drew back his fist, but restrained himself. "I need a third Borne. You two girls ARE NOT ENOUGH!"

Rula Verenspik followed in. She wore a blood-red blazer over a crisp white shirt and black trousers. Her hair was slicked back and her eyes were piercing and accusing.

"You'd better come with me," she snapped.

"No." I got to my feet. "Borne Four and I are friends."

"Were!" Master screamed. He sighed. "Borne Six, you must understand... the other three Bornes MUST be exterminated. Including Nerovian."

I nodded. "Yes. But Adam is here."

Chadwick sighed. "Take her for another injection of khremotein, Rula. It should remind her who she is."

"We won't be able to inject her forever, Chadwick. One day she'll remember and you'll get one hell of an arse-kicking."

"Just do it, Verenspik."

"And Adam?" Rula asked.

Master looked down at Borne Four. "He'll need to sleep off the spasms. Twenty-four hours."

"A lot can happen in a day, Dr Chadwick," Kheo noted.

Yes, I thought. A lot can.

***

I'm sorry; this past fortnight has been VERY manic!

Good news - all over my county, there was a competition where out of a thousand applicants only ten people could be picked. It was for a media course in Norwich where you meet some famous authors, interview people and write newspaper reports. I GOT PICKED!

Bad news - my three-year-old brother got admitted to hospital last week. He's fine now, but as you can imagine I was extremely upset. So I left this chapter all weekend because I didn't feel like writing.

I appreciate I don't have viable excuses for the other days.

But hey ho :)

~ Lauren xx