~ Chapter Twenty-Eight: NERO

NERO

Apollo and Zarah went back to Camp Half-Blood, Zarah cursing all the way. I headed out of the woods, hailed a cab, and told the driver - who wasn't a demigod - I wanted to go to Connecticut.

"Five hour drive," he snapped in a Spanish accent. "Lots of money."

I held out a credit card that Lucas had given me. It was from the Lotus Casino, wherever that was.

The cabbie ran it through a machine and grinned. "Lots of money," he repeated, this time ecstatically. "Good good, boy. I take you to Connecticut, no problem."

"Thank you," I said. I climbed onto the backseat and tried to get a couple hours kip.

Around half six in the morning, the driver woke me up. "We here," he said. "Where in Connecticut you go?"

I took a sheet of paper out of my rucksack. "The address says Fourteen Carrick Lane." I frowned. "I-I'm not sure where that is, Sir."

The driver nodded. "It okay, I know, it only ten minutes from here. It okay, I find it, take you there."

"Thanks."

He drove me down to Carrick Lane, and we looked for house 14. It wasn't anywhere.

"Hmm." The driver turned round and grinned.

"What is it?" I rested my hand on my knife. I was suspicious.

"Maybe," said the man, "this isn't the right end of Carrick Lane. Maybe Fourteen is down there."

There was something wrong with his eyes. They were really kind of... yellow.

And wet. Big, yellow, round... glistening.

"You ssssssseeeee," the man hissed with a perfect American accent, "I've been looking for sssssssome fressssssh demigod blood for a very long while. I mussssssst sssssssay, Nerovian Jackson, you sssssssmell possssitively... delightful."

He threw his seat back ferociously, crushing it against my legs with brutal force. I heard bones crack. My right leg went limp.

"Gahhh!" I cried, unclipping my seatbelt and dragging myself away. "What in the gods name are you?"

"I am Sssssserpentia!" The roof of the taxi burst off and the driver grew in full length, becoming a green-scaled giant snake-thing. Those eyes were the colour of pus with thin black slits, glaring down at me hungrily.

I shifted backwards and fell out of the car, gasping in pain. My leg was broken, and the other was bleeding a little. I could barely move.

My backpack was still in the cab. If I could get to it, I could get out my supply of ambrosia and nectar.

Serpentia towered above me, and then swooped down, slithering. His scales oozed slime. Teeth, sharp and pointed, snapped at my head.

"Oh gods!" I ducked and rolled out of the way. My knife, which turned into a katana with a flick of a switch, fell out of my pocket. Desperately I crawled towards it, dragging my bloodied legs after me.

Serpentia came at me just as I gripped my katana and swung it behind me. The thud of the monster's head hitting the floor made me gag. Golden dust suddenly exploded over me.

The monster was gone. I pulled myself on my stomach towards the car and grabbed my godly food.

It'd be a couple of hours before I could move again. So I'd have to wait.

I decided to scroll through Zarah's phone for more information.

***

Okay so this is really short I know but I'll try to get another one up tonight!

I am SOOOO nervous! Tomorrow I have my media course training day and I'm just really kinda worried, but I'm gonna give it my best shot.

Hopefully it'll go well!

Update later! Bye!

- Lauren xx