~ Chapter Fifteen: NERO

Chapter Fifteen

NERO

I felt really awkward around Adam now, which wasn't great because I shared a dorm with him. Because now I knew how he felt towards Esme. Kind of.

She frustrated him. Irritated him. Astounded him. Shocked him. Surprised him. Glorified him. Infuriated him.

Interested him.

I shuddered. There was no romance but he found her a challenge. I knew from Adam that he was a total ladies guy. Esme clearly didn't succumb to that charismatic persona he displayed. That bugged him. More than you'd think.

I hadn't meant to do it - not that Es would believe me if she knew. It happened by accident.

Adam was having a night terror. He had a lot of those. And I sat with him, talked to him.

Unintentionally, I went inside his head. Seeped through his thoughts. Delved into his memories. Found the one that was hurting him.

I couldn't see his nightmare. But I could see this memory that had been niggling at him all day.

I became Adam as his memory played like a movie in my mind.

***

I was dressed simply in a slim red tee and washboard scruffy jeans. My black hair was wild and untamed, crammed under today's grey NYC snapback cap. My eyes were on my high-tops.

Zarah's dorm was conjoined to mine. Esme was in there.

She annoyed me, that was for sure. Waltzing into the facility with a scowl that could unnerve a god and a vibe so strong it could penetrate a force field.

Her eyes were green but conveyed the darkness of storm clouds. She had tousled blonde hair that almost reached her petite waste. Her figure was slim and slightly curvy, but not plastic. She had the beauty of an Aphrodite child but the personality of an Ares. If looks could kill, I'd be six feet under.

Nero was a total laugh though. He had a skinny surfer look, no bulk or athletic build but a well-planned quick-paced thinker who analysed everyone and everything. He wasn't perfect, granted. Kind of an awkward guy. But he was much easier to be around than Esme.

You know where you stand with Nero. With Esme, you don't have a clue.

I knocked on her door, balancing the tray of food in my left hand. Carefully I opened it. Esme was asleep.

She looked peaceful. I planned to dump the tray and leave but she yawned and sat up.

"Morning Mr California," she mumbled drowsily.

I drew up a chair and sat by her. "Pea soup?" I offered.

"My favourite," she replied sarcastically.

Despite the injuries she still was Esme Jackson. Sharp-tongued and sarky with that hint of sarcastic wit.

"Best Will could cook up," I told her as I handed her the bowl. "Thalia had to go and Leo's got the day off."

"Where's Thalia?" Esme asked.

"Business. The Hunters needed her. Lady Artemis is a patient lady but she, like every commander, needs her lieutenant."

Esme nodded. "Zarah?"

"Gym. She's been working out and stuff."

Esme raised an eyebrow. I smirked in response and she frowned.

"You... like her?" she said suspiciously.

"Why, you jealous?"

"You dress like a druggie from the nineties."

"You look like a -"

"Don't," she snapped. "I can't help looking like that a war victim. In case you haven't noticed, I've almost died on more than one occasion recently!"

I held my hands up in surrender. "You started it, Esme."

"Still haven't answered my question."

I laughed, which made her fury intensify. "Zarah is Zarah. She's not my type. More Joey's. Or Nero's. Now. You still haven't answered my question."

Esme thought about it. "Which was?"

"You jealous?"

"Get real."

I leaned forwards and cocked my head to the side. "Come on. Are you jealous?"

She suddenly seemed self-conscious, turning her face away. She tugged at her light locks, trying to hide behind them. She seemed to remember she was wearing pyjamas and pulled the thick white duvet to her chin.

"Drop it, Adam," she snarled.

I couldn't resist. Gently I cupped her chin and turned her face towards mine. "Jealous," I teased.

Her eyes narrowed. Before I knew it I was flying through the air smack into the wall. Esme stared at me from inside her force field, which had sent me across the room. My back ached.

"I hope that's a clear answer," Esme thundered.

I got up and left, knowing how much she hated me. And how much I hated her.

***

I laid my hand on Adam's forehead. The reel ended and the private movie came to a stop. Adam shivered, unknown if from the cold or just fear, beneath my palm.

He was hot. Sweaty.

His power... the weather...

Suddenly I was scared. Really scared.

Because I think Adam was using his power to heat his mind. If it stopped the nightmare, he'd do it.

I think he was dying.

***

Happy?