~ Chapter Seventeen: ESME

ESME

"My name is Dr Chadwick. I am your psychiatrist."

I stared blankly at the man before me. He was short and rounded, with coffee-coloured skin and beady black eyes. His teeth were yellowing, obviously from regular smoking. His suit was olive green and a largely-noticeable stain on his ochre bow tie was clearly from Cup-A-Noodles. He had a pungent odour and greasy thinning hair scraped over his scalp.

"I know who you are," I said in an expressionless tone.

"Good. I know who you are, too, Miss Jackson."

"Whoopie for you."

"Can you tell me how long you've been here?"

I snorted. "Yeah, of course I can. Considering I live in a cell. Made of four concrete walls with an iron bed, a stupid Porta Potty the size of an actual potty, and a shelf.

"What's that shelf for, Dr Chadwick? I've hardly got any knick-knacks and valuables to store upon it."

Chadwick scribbled something on his clipboard, not acknowledging my rude sarcasm. "It's been eleven days, Miss Jackson. I've been monitoring you over four of those eleven days. This is the first time you've engaged in a full and responsive conversation with me. Why?"

I shrugged. "I get bored."

Chadwick looked down at his notes. "I've been informed that it is your brother whom has both ADHD and dyslexia. Is this correct?"

"Why should I tell you?" I snapped.

The psychiatrist's eyes narrowed. "Is this correct?" he repeated firmly.

I nodded.

He stood up. "It appears we've got the wrong twin," he said into his communicative earpiece.

He waited as someone talked back.

"She's useful," Chadwick murmured. Then, almost as if it was an afterthought,  "Enough. Useful enough."

Another pause.

"Listen. Miss Jackson can be of some help. But she's surly, rude, sarky and uncooperative without serious provocation. Also, I am fairly certain that she is not carrying the DOFEB gene."

My heart skipped a beat. What was that?

Dr Chadwick walked across the room, muttering into his earpiece. I stared at his desk. His clipboard was still there.

I looked back over. Chadwick had his back to me. My hands were still shackled but I could sneak around the desk and see what he'd written, if I was careful enough.

Quietly I got up, making sure not to scrape my chair across the floor. Chadwick was now muttering under his breath, clearly peeved by what was being said down the line. I skirted round the desk and crouched low, picking up the clipboard with my mouth. 

Under the desk I ripped out the notes with my teeth and used my bonded hands to fold it up into a tiny piece of paper and conceal it in my palm. Then I rose quickly and took my seat just as Dr Chadwick spun round.

"Miss Jackson," he said through gritted teeth. "It appears that we do need you after all."

My blood ran cold. "For what? I don't have this... whatever gene."

"No," Dr Chadwick agreed furiously. "You don't. Your brother does. But, unfortunately, the camp cannot be breached any time soon."

"Why not?"

The psychiatrist laughed easily. "It appears that the other Bornes have escaped their facility. The whole camp is in lockdown until they're discovered."

He chuckled again. "My guess is, Miss Jackson, they're searching for you. But even if they do detect us - which they won't - they'll be too late."

"Why?" I asked, trying to sound fierce. But my voice betrayed me.

"Well." Another giggle. "The experiment will have begun by then."

***

I was returned to my cell, cuffed and sedated. Nobody prised my hands apart so the paper was still hidden in my clenched fist.

I didn't care. They were going to experiment on me. Like an animal.

I remembered a school project I did with a friend a couple of years back on animal testing. I'd vouched for it; it saved lives, provided cures for diseases and helped with survival rates. My friend disagreed; she said animals had rights, that why were their hours of pain worth a couple of test tubes of cures, that they were held against their will.

Now I understood where my friend was coming from. She was right. This was wrong and unfair.

Tears streamed down my face. I wiped them away angrily with my sleeve. I was wearing a tight grey t-shirt and charcoal-coloured jogging pants with scuffed once-white trainers and a blood-red hoodie. A woman, who I did not know the name of, had cut my blonde hair from my waist to shoulder-length and tied it up in a messy ponytail.

"Please," I'd begged her on that first terrible, weak day. "Take me back to Camp Half-Blood, please, please..."

I looked down at my wrists. They were raw and bruised from the hours I'd spent struggling against the cuffs. I opened up my left hand and unfolded the paper.

Name: Esme Jackson

Age: 14

D.O.B.: 4/12/99

Status: Borne

DOFEB Carrier: Negative

D.O.E.: 18/2/14

Demigod Origin For Ebulus Bornekurus (DOFEB) - the gene found in Bornes who cannot have their powers removed. Non-DOFEB carriers can be experimented on to remove their powers and be killed.

TARGETED:

- Esme Jackson

- Adam Grimshaw

IN PROCESS:

- Kheo Heliosi Khamen

Signed, BEA

(The Borne Extermination Agency)

I read it again. It took a while to make sense. But eventually it sunk in.

I was going to be experimented on, two days from now.

They were going to take my powers.

And I was going to die.

***

One more Nero chapter and then Esme's experiment! I can't wait to write it.

Keep reading that report. Who is Kheo Heliosi Khamen? Remember, there's someone who the BPA (Borne Protection Agency) haven't been able to find...

Also btw... it's HALF TERM!

That guarantees at least three or four chapters this week. However, please don't be disappointed if I don't. I do aim to have two chapters up by Tuesday but my week is very busy. I've got two sleepovers, a haircut, a trip up to the city and work.

So have faith.

Comment and DON'T FORGET TO VOTE. Votes are more important than you'd think!

Love you Lozzees.

- Lauren xx