~ Chapter Twenty-Five: NERO

NERO

I looked back. "We can't let Roz go that way," I said hesitantly.

But Zarah was already going through the woods. I stared behind me. I could see Roz's back, heading away down near that horrific electrical trap. Then I gazed ahead of me.

Crap. Save a girl from potential paralysis, or save my sister from psychos. 

It didn't take long to make a decision.

I rushed after Zarah.

***

"Have you seen Adam yet?"

"What, since thirty seconds ago? No, Nero!"

I trudged after Zarah. It was dark now, really dark. Zarah's watch said it was one in the morning. We'd officially emerged into the parts of the forest away from camp about an hour back, but I had no clue where we were.

Roz still played on my mind. Was she okay?

Why do I care? I kept asking myself.

Because you're human, I kept replying.

Zarah shone her torch to the left. "The clearing to the highway is over here," she called back to me. "We exit out of here, head west, and catch a cab. We head downtown and get a bus to Connecticut."

"How long will that take?" I asked.

Zarah thought about it. "Well... the cab will take a couple of hours, so we can sleep in hour-long shifts. Then we should be able to sleep for three hours each on the bus. We'll arrive about nine in the morning. We can book a hotel room, clean and change clothes, and head out looking for Kheo Heliosi Khamen."

"How do you know she's the seventh Borne?" I wondered as I caught up to her.

Zarah was checking her phone, but pulled out a crumpled piece of paper from her pocket and shoved it my way.

It read:

SEARCH CONTINUES FOR GIRL GONE MISSING FROM CONNECTICUT NEARLY TWO MONTHS AGO

Police are still searching for Kheonus Khamen, 14, who disappeared from her home in Connecticut six weeks ago.

Known locally as Kheo, the African-American teenager is suspected to have been abducted from outside her house. Her parents reportedly argued the night before after stopping their daughter from attending a booze-fused party nearby. It's thought that Kheo was sneaking out to the party when she was allegedly kidnapped.

The girl lives with her adoptive parents, James and Jessica Whyte, who were unable to have children due to an accident in 1999 that left Jessica's ovaries to be removed. Kheo's parents are believed to have died from poverty.

An image has been released of the youngster, along with a description.

Mr and Mrs Whyte have been contacted for comment but are yet to have done so.

"How does this prove she's a Borne?" I said.

Zarah stuck her mobile in her back pocket and took the newspaper article off of me. "Just does," she said dismissively.

"But how? I mean -"

"For god's sake, Nero!" Zarah spun round and narrowed her eyes on me. A jolt so fast and painful sent me to my knees like a shot. I screamed out.

"Shut up!" She was in front of me, hands over mouth, shaking. "SHUT UP!"

Again. Like a snake, writhing its way up my spine, curling around my organs, burning hot agonisingly.