~ Chapter Twenty-Two: NERO

NERO

I was packing a rucksack when there was a knock at my door.

"Can I come in?"

"Sure."

Zarah walked in, carrying a hiking backpack over her shoulder. She was wearing a black hoodie over scarlet chinos and a pair of leather brown lace-up boots. Her ash-blonde curls were piled up in a chignon, with a couple of curly tendrils framing her slender cheeks. Her big blue eyes stared at me.

"I'm coming," she said, "and you can't stop me."

"She's my twin sister," I said as I zipped up my bag. "Not yours."

Zarah scowled. "Best mate, remember?"

"Three weeks, remember?"

"Why are you being like this?" she snapped. She climbed up the ladder and sat down on my bunk besides me. "I thought... I don't know, we could..."

"What?" I could barely contain my anger. "Get it on? You led me on, Zarah, and you know it."

"No, Nero!" Zarah leaped forward and grabbed my arms. Her warm fingers felt soft and comforting. "Please, it wasn't like that."

"I was vulnerable. What did you want?"

Zarah hung her head. "Leo sent me. Said you had a weakness for pretty girls."

I blushed red despite myself.

"He wanted you on side," Zarah said quickly. "You were on a rampage, constantly wired."

"I've got ADHD," I argued.

Zarah raised her hands. "I know, I know, I'm sorry."

She placed her hands on my face and leaned towards me. She smelt like vanilla and cherries, her lips almost touching mine.

"I like you, Nero," she whispered. Her eyes were closed, revealing red eyeshadow and long black eyelashes. "I do. You... intrigue me."

I shivered. I wasn't used to intimate contact with people of the opposite gender. All girls at school completely ignored me most of the time, unless they wanted extra help with homework.

"Come on, Nero." Her breath was tickling. "Your turn."

"For what?" I asked gently.

She smiled. "Confession time. On your feelings."

I chuckled lowly. "What feelings?"

She opened her eyes. They were more blue than I'd thought, like sapphires, with small flecks of... what, was that red? Wow.

"Do you have any for me?" she asked incredulously, beginning to pull away.

I wound my arms around her, surprised at my sudden burst of confidence. "Hey," I said, pulling her face close to mine again. "I might just like you too."

She closed her eyes again and, lightly, pressed her lips on mine. Our kiss was sweet and slow. Zarah cupped her palms around my cheeks and mine were on her waist. We leant against the wall, Zarah's back to the door.

So neither of us saw Adam come in, until we heard his groan.

"Guys," he whined, "what the hell?"

Zarah turned round, grinning. "Jealous, babe?"

Adam picked his baseball cap up off the desk. "Came back for this," he said. "Nothing else, Za."

"You ready to go?" I asked him, dodging round Zarah and jumping to the floor.