~ Chapter Twenty-Four: ESME

ESME

Master gave me a mobile phone. It was an iPhone 4, small and black with new rewired programming. The only numbers in it were those of my master, Kheo and Zarah.

The phone vibrated. Master watched me intently.

"Answer it," he commanded.

I pressed the button. "Hello?"

"Too casual," snapped Master. "You will answer with Borne Six, do you understand?"

I nodded. "I am sorry, Master." I took a deep breath. "Borne Six."

"Ah, Esme." The voice of Zarah Venjovi filled the speaker. "So Dr Chadwick has got to you."

"He is my master," I corrected her. "Our master."

"Uh-huh. Well, I didn't need brainwashing. I knew people were out to get the Bornes. I've been guaranteed safety if I assist. Do you know who my cousin was, Esme?"

"No."

"Luke Castellan. He was going places. Then your parents killed him. If he'd succeeded, we'd be in the best world mankind could ever hope for."

I looked over at Master. He nodded once.

"Why are you calling, Borne Three?"

"Looks like Master's spies were successful. Grimshaw has gone missing."

Grimshaw. "You mean Adam?"

Master rose his head. "Let me speak to Borne Three."

"Is Adam okay?" I asked. "Where is Adam?"

"Borne Six," Master said firmly.

I spun round to face him. "Where. Is. Adam?"

Master lunged forwards and snatched the phone from his hand. "Borne Six!" he thundered. 

He punched me in the eye with a clenched fist. Memories flooded back. Adam, holding my hand when I nearly died. Mum, having 'the talk' with me. Dad, taking me to see the Yankees in one of their biggest ever games. Nero, telling me he loved me when we were four and playing in a sand pit.

"Nero!" I yelled. "Where's Nero?"

Kheo came in. Master - no, that greasy-haired acne-ridden rotten-toothed slimeball Dr Chadwick - had helped make her better. She had healthier skin now, with honey-brown hair and light blue eyes. She smiled warmly at me.

"Kheo." I ran to her, scared. "Kheo, these people..."

"It's okay," Kheo said softly. Her eyes glowed red. "You can trust me."

"I can trust you," I repeated.

"Forever," Kheo said.

"Forever," I agreed.

She took my hand. "Don't worry, Esme. I promise you, Adam will be fine. But he needs our help, babe. We must make him like us."

"No, Kheo." I shook my head. "Kheo, Chadwick tried to make me want to kill everyone, even my own brother!"

"She's remembering," Chadwick said nervously.

Kheo sighed and stroked a loose strand of hair behind my ear. "You must kill Nerovian Jackson one day, Esme."

I stood back. "No, Kheo, not you too..."

"Yes, Esme." Her eyes darkened to the colour of blood. "It's all right, babe. Don't worry. I'm here. You're still getting used to these new ways. Look at Dr Chadwick again, Esme. He is our master."

I looked again and remembered. "Good Master; I'm so sorry!"

"It's quite all right." Master adjusted his tie. "Now. Do you understand your mission now?"

I nodded and glanced at Kheo. Her eyes were azure again.

"Go on," she encouraged.

I breathed in.

"My mission is to kill my twin brother."

***

NO NO NO! PLEASE ESME DON'T KILL  NERO JACKSON PLEAAAASE!

Oh wait...

I write these chapters :)

There are three books to be written - The Jacksons, The Bornes and a third one I haven't plotted yet. Hopefully the trilogy will be finished by the end of this year or beginning of next. It takes work but I know you guys can help me.

So a little update on my boring life. I played hockey for my school today. UGH. I hate sport and I hate hockey but my friend begged me.

I play left wing. It's not going too badly. I'm doing fine. Then this girl from the other team complains when the ball hits my foot but the ref doesn't call it out. Basically we got into an argument and the ref told us off big-time for 'rumbling'.

I hate hockey. But it was both of our faults, however I was still hacked off.

Rant over. And breaaaathe.

Sorry guys. It's been a long day. I had a French speaking assessment and I was told that I didn't get a high level because I HESITATED. Sorry but we got four days to revise six questions with two of those days being on a weekend when I work.

UGGGHHHH. Mondays are too hard, you know. Either that or I'm too hard for Mondays.

Btw WAHOOO! The Jacksons is doing really well in readers. We're well over 9,000 when I last checked a fortnight ago and I haven't checked since so surprise me. When I FINISHED Percabeth, it had just over 13,000 reads. I'm so pleased that there's still another fifteen to twenty chapters to go and The Jacksons is soaring ahead.

Also, Percabeth is drawing up to 100,000 reads! I know it's not huge but I am proud to think that 70,000+ people have taken the time to pick up that story and read it through despite some crappy writing.

Anyway. Angry rants and happy compliments over.

Hope you all had a good half-term.

Love yous (kind of).

~ Lauren xx