~ Chapter Nineteen: NERO

~ Chapter Nineteen:

NERO

Nero. Nero, come on.

Come free me. I'm stuck. Stuck in this place. Come on, Nero. Come free me.

Nero. Please.

Please.

Come free me. Nero. Come. Nero. For I'm here, here in -

AAAAAAAAAAARGGGGH!

AAARGH GOD, IT HURTS!

NERO. NERO, PLEASE!

Help!

AAARGH. H-h-help.

Help me.

Please.

Help.

*

I sat up, soaked in my sweat. Esme's screams rang through my ears. They weren't true, I knew that, but the shrieks of pain felt real. They felt real.

Real.

I looked beneath my bunk. Adam was curled up in his. Will had taken away the sensory panels at my request but there'd been no progress. But I had to put my trust in Adam. He had tried to fight back when I went inside his head. He knew. He was aware.

I had faith. Adam could get himself out. It was the safest way. We just had to pray he didn't burn up in the meantime.

Nero.

"No."

Help me.

"I can't."

Nero. Nero, come on.

"GET OUT OF MY HEAD!" I yelled.

A gasp. Followed by, "Where... what..."

I peered over my bunk. Adam was sitting up, his eyes green, staring around the dormitory.

"Oh my god!" I jumped down the ladder and knelt by Adam's side. "Hey, mate, you okay?"

Adam's eyes were wide. "What... you were..."

"I know." I pulled him into a hug. He hugged me back, then pulled away.

"We'll talk about that another time," he said.

"Adam -"

"Another time." His tone was firm so I let it go.

"You did it," I said with a grin. "You snowed."

Adam threw me his traditional cheeky smirk. "I'm Adam Grimshaw. I can't help being hot."

"Confident much?"

Adam laughed and then winced. "It was really hot, Nero -"

Nero.

"- like an inferno. Everything was ablaze. The heat, it was so intense, it hurt so much and -"

Come on, Nero.

"- it was because of the... the nightmares. You see, I get them all the time. Usually I deal with them alone. Then obviously you arrived -"

Help me. Please. Nero...

"- and you got put in my dorm. Thank god you were there, though, man. If you weren't -"

Neroooooo...

"- well, I'd be dead. Burned inside and nobody would know. Huh." Adam chuckled. "There's a story if ever there was for the kids one day."