~ Chapter Twenty-Six: NERO

Chapter Twenty-Six:

NERO

"Can I have a word, Lord Apollo?" Zarah asked as sweetly as possible. She led him away from me and, in her haste, something fell out of her pocket.

I watched to see if she'd noticed, but she stood with her arms folded and argued with the god. I picked up the object.

It was a small, black, thin...

... iPhone.

A bloody iPhone.

I knew she'd been on a mobile earlier! Leo had said something a few weeks ago about all phones being banned because they attracted monsters.

So surely Bornes were prohibited from owning them, too?

I knew I shouldn't have done, but I tapped the lock screen. A four-number passcode.

Of course.

I was quite the tech genius though. It barely took me a minute to disable the blockade and get in. Easy as.

Plain black screensaver. No apps. Interesting.

I looked over my shoulder. Zarah was still engaged in a conversation with Apollo, so I tapped the text section and scrolled through her recent messages.

Quite a few texts to some girl called Rula.

Rula. Rula. Chad. Rula. Chad. Chad. Rula.

Kheo.

My hands froze.

Seventeen text messages: Kheo.

I opened one. Sent... sent two hours ago, after we had realised Adam was missing.

2. Begin proceedings on 4. 3.

What? I turned my back completely to Zarah. She couldn't see this.

The phone buzzed. I dropped it, startled.

"Nero?" Shit. Zarah.

I bent down and pocketed the phone. Okay, I know it was stupid. She'd realise it was missing and I'd be humiliated into admitting my theft.

But she knew this Kheo. This Kheo I'd be led wild through Connecticut to find.

Wait... was Zarah working with the people who'd abducted Esme?

And had those same people abducted Adam?

5. 4. 3.

It was all slotting into place. The Borne numbers.

Zarah was Borne 3. Lucas, 7. Esme, 6. Kheo, 2. Adam, 4.

I was 5. Joey, 1.

Zarah was at my side. "You okay?"

Now was the time. Either I tell her in front of a god that I knew her secrets, or I did this all by myself.

"Fine," I lied.

***

I know, I know. Too short.

Still... some more comments!

Just a question, what happened to Calypso? 

rachelanne23

In answer - when I started writing this book four months ago and set Leo and Reyna together, House of Hades had only just been published and I hadn't read it. So (spoiler alerts now people so please scroll past if you want) I had no idea about Calypso falling for Leo, or Nico di Angelo coming out as gay, or Percabeth's real journey through Tartarus.

I hope that answers your question rachelanne23 :) x

Next:

Hahaha good on Apollo ;) Great chapter, and I am looking forward to more Adam/Esme romance! (Publish me ;)) 

-HereComesTheSun-

Hey -HereComesTheSun- (can I call you Sunny for short?) Can I just say, Sunny, that I love some of your comments, they're always dead nice! x

I love Apollo, I think he's a great god and he only briefly featured in Titan's Curse as a main character. I love the Edam/Asme romance, but I can't promise you that there's definitely a romance at all...

Yeah, I bet you're all sitting there groaning in your heads.

But this isn't gonna be done by this book. Hopefully, if I can write a THIRD book in the series, you'll find out only THEN if Edam/Asme happen.

And I've got some real drama coming up for our lovely cherub Nero.

Keep commenting guys cuz I don't wanna always pick the same people!

- Lauren xx