~ Chapter Twelve: ESME

Chapter Twelve

ESME

I pulled on the tight outfit. It looked like something Catwoman would wear, a whole-body shiny black Lycra one-piece. The one-piece was covered with hundreds of small blue balls that glowed. It was just decoration, I guess.

I pulled on the matching black gloves and tied my blonde hair back with an elastic band. I'd been handed leather black boots that clumped noisily about the small room. The laces were thick and difficult to knot with my shaking hands.

Today was my assessment. I was terrified.

A man who I didn't recognise led me down a dark corridor and into a room made of metal. The walls were steel and nailed tightly; probably so Bornes couldn't break them with their powers. The floor was made of iron and vibrated against the heavy stomp I made. It was a long, large room - about two hundred feet long and eighty feet high, the man told me. Like I cared.

Each wall was split into four sectors, meaning there were sixteen sectors all together. It was my job to unlock each sector and fight whatever was behind it with my powers.

"You have enough space to demonstrate your power," he explained. "Behind each sector will be an enemy. Each wall has a different theme to the others. It will be hard work, but you have approximately one hour per sector. You'll be assessed and given a mark out of ten by Leo Valdez, Thalia Grace, Jason Grace, Chiron and Perseus Jackson."

I finally showed some emotion. "M-my dad?" I asked.

"That won't earn you any favours, kid. I've seen Jackson pass out ones on the per Bornes because they made a very slight slip. You see where I'm coming from? You don't get special treatment. Jackson grades fair, trust me."

I looked at the sectors. Each was numbered. One wall had pink numbers, another green, the third blue, and the final orange. The pink numbers all had a picture of snakes and birds underneath. The green had swords and arrows. The blue had a lightning bolt and a tidal wave. And the orange... the orange had a picture of lots, and lots, of monsters.

I gulped. The man smirked at my reaction.

"For each wall, you are marked out of ten. You can earn a total of forty marks for the walls from one judge, meaning you get a total of two hundred marks from all five. Does this make sense?"

I nodded.

"You'll be watched by, of course, the judges. The fellow Bornes will also be viewing."

I thought hard. Zarah, who would be encouraging and positive. Joey, who would be searching for every chink or negative he could find. Lucas, who would watch intently and calmly. Adam, who would smirk and not give a damn.

And Nero. Would he be there? Would he be there to cheer me on? Or... or would he watch me die?

I breathed in deeply. "I'm ready," I whispered.

The man left, and a moment later the top half of one of the third wall whirred to life as two panels parted. A huge sheet of glass appeared, and I saw ten people - some I knew, some I did not.

The first I recognised were, of course, Leo and Thalia. They sat near the front, where they could see clearly. Next to them was a tall blonde man with blue eyes, who must have been Thalia's brother Jason. I then saw Chiron, the centaur, watching with mild concern. And then my dad, looking absolutely terrified for me. They all behind a long metal table, with placards and pens, which I assumed they'd score me with.

The Bornes sat on the sides of the big table. On the left were Joey and Lucas, both watching me like I was some sort of TV character who was going to miserably fail. Joey looked, as predicted, smug - whereas Lucas looked more pitiful. On the right sat Zarah, giving me the thumbs up and mouthing Good Luck. Adam sat by her side, cap off, running his right hand through his hair. He flashed me a grin. I realised, however cocky he was, he wanted me to do well. He had confidence in me. I grinned at them all.

Then I saw Nero, and the little hope I'd had plummeted.

His face was a mass of purple and red, twice as bad as I'd seen. I'd woken up from some kind of Borne power-induced coma two nights ago and thought I'd looked bad, but Nero was worse. He was physically and mentally damaged. He looked like he had nothing left to live for. Everything about him was bruised and broken. I had never seen anyone so dejected.

Then his eyes met mine. And his face lit up. He smiled, beamed. It wasn't as carefree as it could've been, but it was still my brother.

Still my Nero.

I waited for the klaxon to signal I could start, when everyone above turned round. A figure rushed across the room and took her place beside Dad, her blonde hair flowing behind her. She saw me and blew me a kiss, them grabbed herself a set of placards and a pen.

"Mrs Jackson," a robotic voice buzzed. "Only five judges can be present."

My mother rolled her eyes. "Fine," she said. "But my baby girl is being forced to do some daft assessment when the others don't have to. Good luck, Esme!"

The intercom switched off. Everyone I knew was here to watch me.

I was ready.

The klaxon sounded, and the first pink sector opened.

***