4. I Promised To Remember

Ethan

I decided to tryout for basketball just to get things normal again.

Try-outs for Basketball finished after about four hours. The coach, Henley Berk, is a forty-five year old man with two kids and who I am very close with other than Mrs. Jones. And I am very lucky that he recognized me like his wife when I came into the gym.

As we're talking, players were already coming inside the gym and before we even started, Coach Berk says something that I can't even know if it's real or not.

"Ah," he pauses, grinning at me. "Listen. When you see Reese Cassidy, can you tell her to join the basketball team again? I mean, I know that she's the only girl in a group full of guys but she's the best player we ever had when you moved away. And then she stopped at her junior high. We have you now but I'd like it if two of the best players in basketball is with u-"

I hold up my hand to stop him from talking any further. Back up. Reese? A player?

"Reese Cassidy?" I ask, and he nods, still giving me a huge smile. "Reese Cassidy went to try-outs when I was gone? Wha-how the hell did that happen, Coach? Did she tell you why she wanted to play basketball? She told me she can't even play basketball. And I know that because I've seen her move when I would give her the ball."

Was it all an act? Did Reese pretended to not know a thing about basketball?

She said her father was a basketball player but she never wanted to learn and neither did her father. So how the hell would she learn basketball if no one can even teach her?

Maybe Reese did know how to play. She just didn't want anyone to know.

But she went to try-outs, dammit! So that can't be. Maybe... Maybe she didn't want me to know that she knows how to play basketball? But why would she even do that? This whole thing doesn't make sense.

My head hurts thinking about this.

"Seriously? She didn't know basketball?" Coach Berk's eyes were wide in surprise. I shake my head. "Well, it looked like she knew how to play because when I sent her out to play with the boys, without no warning at all, she crushed the game. She was great, Ethan. Almost as good as you."

So why would she hide it?

I can't erase her words in my mind.

"I hate you, Ethan Mitchell." The look that she had, had me wanting to drop down on my knees and beg for her to forgive me. "That's a promise."

What the hell happened to her? She's not the same that anymore.

I thought coming to Jada's will make me feel better about things that happened but it didn't. And I can't help hut replay the memories we had on that place.

Reese is gripping my hand so hard. That's how I know that she's scared to fall. We're walking and I look around for the booth for it but I guess that's a mistake because Reese hits a table of an empty booth with her leg, making her stop.

"Ow!" She cries out, jerking her right hand away from me and place it on her leg. "Ow, ow, ow! That hurts!"

"You okay?" I ask, pull her close to me. "Sorry, I was looking for our booth."

Then she pulls her hand away from her leg and place it on my hand. She nods and smile before punching me in the shoulder. It did hurt but it was bearable.