22. I Promised To Forget The Promises

Five Years Later

Reese

The damn place is packed and I'm having a hard time believing it. I watch all of them were taking pictures with my photographs, being awed by the sight of some of them.

It's so funny accomplishing things while you're a bit young in this line of profession because you know that three years ago, you have absolutely no idea what you're doing with your course or your life.

I'm just glad that I really found myself when I left. It took a lot of time but I finally managed to do that.

"Boo."

I jump, immediately turning around to see Tracie with Xavier beside her, their smiles going wide as they watch me almost spill the glass of champagne on my hand.

I slap her arm and hug her. She hugs me back. "You stupid cow, I hate you for doing that." We pull away and look at her sky blue dress with a golden chain around the waist. "Simple yet beautiful and classy."

"Thank you," she gives me a kiss on the cheek, her hands holding mine.

Wait.

When she's about to pull her hands away so I could hug Xavier, I drag her left hand back on my view. There一a shining diamond engagement ring on her ring finger.

I look up at them with my mouth dropping, then back at the ring, and then back at them.

"You never even bothered to call?!" I furrow my brows at them. "You two are my best friends and you didn't even call!"

"Shh," Xavier presses an index finger on his lips. "Don't yell at your own party. Besides, we wanted to tell you later, we wanted to see you first, celebrate when people buys your photograph, and then tell you. We didn't want to make it all about us."

I roll my eyes. When there's a waiter passing, I call him back and let him take the champagne that I haven't even drank back. He nods and continues to walk.

I jump and hug the both of them, not even caring how this isn't even professional. The both of them laugh but they hug me back. "I'm so glad you two finally got engaged. I love you guys."

"We love you too," the both of them in unison says.

Before I can ask the details on the wedding and what they're going to do, a hand is placed on my shoulder. I spin my heels around and see Chase, smiling at me.

I laugh. "You came!" I give him a hug before we let go and stare at my two engaged best friends. "You remember Chase?"

"I think so," Xavier nods. "Were you the one working as a server on the restaurant years ago?"

Chase nods silently, a bright smile on his face. He faces me and places his hand on my back. "You want some champagne? Calm your nerves and all?"

I shake my head. "My nerves are gone. You three are here so I wouldn't be一"

"Ree!" I spin around to see Scott, Nina, Trent, Jordan, and Barry grinning at me.

I press my finger on my lips. "Shh, don't yell. People are admiring the pictures."

Before I can get to them, my manager, Kasey, pulls me aside and gives me a bright smile. Kasey is my seventh manager. No one has ever really understood how I like things to work so they either end up quitting or I fire them. But not like Kasey. She's so hardworking一she has a husband, a mom of a gorgeous little boy, and working for a 23 year old half-adult half-childish photographer. I couldn't be happier meeting her.