27. I Remember Loving You

Reese

I rub my eyes, opening my eyes slightly to see Ethan asleep. He looks so handsome and peaceful as he sleeps.

I raise myself slightly with my seat, feeling my back ache at this rusty rented pickup truck. I wasn't complaining at how this wasn't good for my back since I've been in situations like this before.

There were times that Chase and I would sleep at his car when countless landlords had evicted us. I didn't bother to mention it to Ethan, I know how he always worry about things that already happened.

I remember the torture of it all but at least we knew that we had together to survive. I cannot even imagine what will happen to me if we had never planned to be with each other when we went to that place.

I squeeze Ethan's hand. Somehow, without my knowing, his hand and mine ended up locking each other's fingers.

I smile. Typical Ethan Mitchell moves.

I squeeze it again. He just shifts a little bit before going back to sleep. "Ethan," I sing, "hey, wake up, sleepyhead."

"Five more minutes," he groans, pulling our hands close to his face. "Five more minutes like this, please."

I shake my head, pulling back but he doesn't bother to move. "Ethan, come on. We need to get moving."

"Five minutes," he says, opening his eyes lightly. "Please?"

Damn, why can't I stick to saying no when it comes to this guy?

I nod. "Five minutes, okay. But after that, we start moving, okay?"

He nods, smiling at me with his lips pressed together. "You're the best."

"This is absolutely ridiculous," says Ethan with a blind fold on. "We're still an hour away from the place, it's still dark, and you're putting me on a blindfold? Are you in your right mind?"

I slap him with the back of my hand on his chest, he releases an "oof" before saying "ow". I roll my eyes, keeping my eyes on the road. "Patience is the key, okay? If I let you take the blindfold off, you'll know exactly where we're going and we don't want that."

He groans, the frustration is so clear in his voice. "You already know that I'm too impatient for anything like this."

I chuckle. "It's not going to be a surprise if you take it off, Ethan."

"I hate you," I glance at him and see the pout he's making.

"Don't worry," I laugh at his childishness. "You'll change your mind about that in forty minutes. You could sleep while we're driving and I'll just wake you up if we're there."

* * * * *

We're here.

I step out of the truck, making sure that I run to Ethan's side, opening his door and helping him down the truck.

"Are we here?" He grips my hand.

"Uh-huh," I look at the door in front of us. "Three steps, okay?" He nods. We start walking, counting with our minds. One. Two.

Three.

I slowly open the door, and the smell of vanilla and strawberry just hits me in the face. I grin, pulling him inside.

I hope he'll like this.

I shut the door behind us and slowly untie the blindfold, letting it fall to the floor. "You can open your eyes, Ethan."

He opens it and I rest my head on his shoulder, staring at the studio full of balloons at the ceiling, their strings tied to the photographs of us since we were children until his graduation.

In front of him, on the floor, is the white rose petals scattered on the floor. The studio's wall is painted with plain maroon一his favorite color.

"Hey," He gazes at me and his just sparkles. "Look up."

We look up. There. All of our photographs printed into a wallet size photos and I made sure to do the letters aligned.

I LOVE YOU.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

As he's continuing to stare up, I move away from him and run to the corner of the room, taking the guitar and wrapping the strap around my neck, playing.

The second I had strummed, Ethan faces me with a goofy grin at his face. "This is too much I can handle."

"A dangerous plan," I start singing. "Just this time. I stranger's hand, clutched in mine. I take this chance, so call me mine. I've been waiting... all my life."

He shakes his head, laughing.

I just can't help but still grin at this man. "Please don't scar... this young heart. Just take my hand."

I put down my guitar, playing the karaoke song on my phone, running to him and taking his hand, pulling him to me. "I was made for loving you. Even though we maybe hopeless hearts just passing through. Every bone screaming, "I don't know what we should do"."

I pause, swaying with him and tip-toe so I can reach his nose. "I've run out of ways darling, I was made for loving you."

I let Ed Sheeran sing, placing my head on his chest, and we just continue swaying.

"This is amazing," He pushes me back, cupping my chin up to meet his eyes. "I was made for loving you, too."

"This is why, I have been canceling the dates." I shrug. "After everything we've been through, I figured you'd want to come to our hiding spot, celebrate your birthday, watching the sunset, and then going to Jada's."

"You know," he pulls my head close to him, kissing me in the forehead. "I may have forgotten all of the promises, at least I remember what we had, who you were, and who you are now. I remember you, Reese. No matter how far away I am, or how long we're apart, I just seem to remember you. And that's why I am really, amazingly, in love with you."

"I was made for loving you," I smile.

"I was made for loving you."

And then we lock our lips, kissing as the sun rose up, passing through the window and kissing our skin.