20. I Promised To Come Back

Ethan

Graduation. A time of being free from high school and enjoying the new summer that lies ahead.

"May I present, class of 2017!" The principal yells through he microphone. It was loud but our cheers and whoops were louder. We all counted to three and threw our caps off, laughing at ourselves in congratulations and in freedom.

I start to walk around and hug all the people who wanted to hug me and say "good luck". It was kind of tradition that even if you don't know or like the person, hug them no matter what to give them good luck.

At the fifteenth person I said good luck and hugged, I hear my name being called. I turn around and see my father and Nick in a suit.

I can't help but laugh in delight as I run to my father and hug him. "I missed you," he whispers, giving me a kiss on the cheek. "You're so grown up. I'm proud of you."

When we let go. "Thanks Dad." I give Nick a brief hug and when we let go, I look around for someone. "Where's mom?"

They stare at each other and shake their heads at me. "We're sorry, Son. I guess she doesn't really want to be around me even if the day is about you."

I shrug. It was normal for mom to be like this. She always made everything about herself. I do love her but I hope sometimes she stops being shallow and ignorant. I think it might do her some good.

I give Nick my phone. "Can you take a picture of me and my old man, here?"

He nods, taking the phone from my hand. "Sure, man."

When we're taking pictures, I ask Dad this time to take Nick and I's picture. I wanted to take a picture with the three of us but everyone were just too occupied in capturing the moment and congratulating everybody.

"Uh," I walk to up to a girl with a long hair, her back turned from me. "Excuse me, miss? Can you take a photo of my family, here? I don't want to bother you but一"

She turns around and the moment I see her face, I go stiff.

Reese.

She looks so healthy, thinner but healthier than the last time I saw her. She's glowing and she's wearing a navy blue dress with sleeves that hugs her figure, and she's also wearing black heels that matches her dress. But that wasn't all, around her neck is the camera I gave her.

"I can just use my camera and give you a photo when I'm done doing the negatives?" She suggests, a smile on her face.

I nod. What am I supposed to do? Hug her? Kiss her? Shake her hand? Be angry with her? I'm clueless at this point.

We walk to my dad and Nick and the moment they see Reese beside me, my dad walks up to her and hugs her.

Reese lets out a beautiful, light laugh. It sounds like she's even happier now. "I missed you too, Mr. Mitchell."

When he lets go of her, he shakes his head and grins at her. "Reese, you look so beautiful. I'm so sorry I haven't been here to visit you."

Reese, so sweet and kind, shakes her head and places her hands on my fathers shoulders. "Oh, it's okay, Mr. Mitchell. I wasn't here for about eight months anyway. I went somewhere. Anyway, I should take your picture since your son politely asked."

She glances at me and smiles.

Dad backs away and she does too, getting ready her position. I go to the middle of Dad and Nick. Before Reese presses the button to take a picture, Nick speaks up.

"So where have you been all these time, Reese?" Nick asks, raising his brow. "The Mason's and all of your friends were worried about you."

"I was exploring," she chuckles. "Okay, so one... two... three!"