Chapter 18

Edited'
"Come one we gotta go to school." Elena says. I grab my bag and head to the door. I stand by the door waiting for Elena, Jenna, and Jeremy. "Jer come on were going to be late!" I yell from the front door. I open the door to see someone about to knock. "Emma." he says. I slam the door and look back at Elena and Jenna. "Emma?" Jenna says. "What? It was no one. The door just shut." I lie. Jenna glares at me. I look over to Elena. "I didn't know he was coming." Elena says and reopens the door.

"Elena." he says. "Uncle John." Elena says. She gives him a fake smile. "Hey..." He says. He looks over at Jenna and his smile fades away. "Jenna." he says. "John you made it." Jenna says. "I said I would be here at noon." John says walking into the house like he owns the place. Jenna knew that he was going to come and she didn't tell us. "What you say and do are different things." Jenna says.

"Uncle John. What's up?" Jeremy asks coming down the stairs. He pats John's back then leaves. Good morning Jeremy. "I had some business in town I thought a visit was in order." John explains to us. "How long are you staying." I ask. "I'm not sure yet." John smiles. "Well we have to go to school." I say and we head out the door. Elena and I look at Jenna then she slams the door on our face.
~~~~~~~~~~
"Emma, Elena can you stay for a couple minutes?" Alaric asks. We both stop and turn around. "Hey Ric what's up?" I ask. "I made a copy of a paper that Jeremy wrote for me. I think you should take a look at it." Ric hands a paper and I grab it. I'm shocked when I see the title. "The truth about vampires in Music Falls." Wait he couldn't possibly know could he? "Jeremy wrote this?" Elena asks. Uh yeah Elena Alaric just said that plus it says By: Jeremy Gilbert at the bottom of the page.

"He was very clear that he didn't think they were real." Ric explains. "I really hope that you're right because we have done so much to protect him for all this." Elena says. Ric sighs. "So how did you guy deal with it?" He asks. "What do you mean?" I ask. "I mean with all the lies and secrets. You guys have to lie to everyone that's important to you." Ric says. I guess he's true but think of it from Stefan and Damons point of view. They also have to lie to everyone they care about and they have to resist the temptation of eating the person. Like Elena and I.

"Its not safe for them to know. So yes we kept it from them but that's only because we love them." Elena says. "I think that Stefan is a good guy but at the end of the day he's still a vampire." Ric frowns and leans over his desk. Yeah let's not even start on Damon. "I know it's hard to understand but Stefan's different. He would never do anything to hurt us." Elena says. We don't know that's 100% true. Its like 80% true. I mean Damon could hurt me. But he hasn't. Which I'm great full for. Elena sounded like she was trying to convince herself more then convince us.
~~~~~~~~
"I have no interest In the founders day kickoff party." Jeremy says to John scooping out the Chinese takeout food into his bowl. "Same here. I hate those things." I say. "Sure you guys do. Its tradition." John says. "And we must never stray from tradition." Jenna says. "The Gilberts have been in this town for 150 years. One of the founding families and with that distinction comes certain obligations. Including going to that party." John says. I roll my eyes. "One day you guys can appreciate the significance. I'll tell you guys all about your heritage." John says.

"The Gilbert family legacy, I forgot how sacred it was. I was never a Gilbert so I wasn't cool enough to hear about it." Jenna glares at John. "Why does she hate you so much?" Jeremy asks. I'd like to know that also. "We used to sleep together." John says. Jenna throws a dishwashing towel at him and Jeremy and me jump in surprise. Then we laugh. "I'm standing right here you know." Jenna puts her arms on her hips. I hear the doorbell and I look up at Jenna. "Expecting anyone?" I ask.

She shakes her head. I look at Jeremy and John they shake their head. It never accoutred to me. Jenna Jeremy and John have names that start with J's but Elena and I have names that start with E's. And then there plain old Miranda and Greyson. I go to the door and open it. "Stefan." I say and smile. "I see you're feeling better." He says. I'm about to answer when, "Oh were you sick?" John asks from behind me. "No I feel down the stairs." I say and look at Stefan with an annoyed face.