Chapter 3

“I’ve got it!” Mom suddenly exclaimed over dinner.

It was a Thursday night and had been two days since I told Mr Hudson-Leo- about Jamie. I couldn’t stop thinking about him and everything we’d talked about. I couldn’t help but marvel at how easily I had forgotten he was my teacher.

I saw him English yesterday and he did nothing to indicate that he remembered the conversation we had that night. He had also called up my Mom about ten minutes after I had gotten inside. He told her that he needed some help with his lesson plan and asked me to help. It wasn’t entirely a lie…

“What is it, Mom?” I asked, stuffing my mouth with some peas.

“You know your English teacher, Mr Hudson?” she asked, happily.

I rolled my eyes. “Of course.”

“Well, I was thinking and he’s my friend’s son! Of course! Lindsey and I went to college together!” Mom told me.

“What? Mr Hudson’s your friend’s son?” Melanie repeated in disbelief. “You should totally invite them over!”

“Maybe I will… Oh, I remember when we went over when you were little.” Mom told me and Mel. “You and Leo played together in their sand pit. You were around five or six and he was nine or ten. He made you cry when he trod on your sandcastle.”

“What?!” I blurted, trying to hold in my laughter.

“Yes, I remember the day because I hadn’t seen Lindsey in a while and we were having a little reunion.” Mom explained. “Also, your first tooth fell out and Leo buried it in the sand.”

“Oh my gosh!” Melanie exclaimed. “You and Mr Hudson were childhood friends.”

My eyes widened and I tried my best not to act weird. My mind was actually exploding inside as I also remembered him. He had been like my brother even though I hardly saw him. The last time I saw him was when I was ten and he was fourteen. We played on his PS2 together. I had whopped his ass at wrestling. We visited quite often until that point because we only lived ten minutes away.

“Oh my gosh, you’re right!” I blurted out. “I remember the last time I saw him! It was that night we were moving away. We came to L.A that night, didn’t we?”

“Oh, I have to invite them over! I think I have Lindsey’s number somewhere.” Mom gushed.

***

I went to school the next day, carefully avoiding Leo- Mr Hudson. I was having a hard time to referring to him as Mr Hudson now that I knew he was Leo! We had spent so much time together that it was weird I didn’t recognize him! He had obviously changed from the spotty teenage I used to know so well. He was a man now. He was my teacher.

It was all just so weird to get my head around! I used to remember how we played in his back yard and as we got older we just messed around and played video games.

It was Friday today and I had double English. It passed slowly and awkwardly as I avoided his eye. I was more distracted than usual and I could tell he noticed. I was worried he’d recognize me. A big part of me hoped he wouldn’t; it would just make us awkward but the unreasonable part of me wished he would so that our relationship would change.

At the end of the lesson I hurried out behind Macy.

“Lily, I’d like you to stay behind.” He told me.

“Don’t wait up.” I told Macy as she stared at me.

She nodded and left with the rest of the class, closing the door behind her.