Chapter 6

A week passed since our first kiss and everything was going well. I had a few detentions with Leo which went the same way; I’d stay behind, we’d make out, we’d learn more about each other. I guess it was our way of bonding. English was becoming rather unbearable as he was teaching nearly everything I knew. He told me that some of the teachers were considering the idea of moving me into an English class which was a year above. I was strongly against the idea so I dumbed myself slightly. It wasn’t extreme, I just wrote at an average level, way below my own.

Today, I was spending yet another detention with him but when I arrived at his class room, he wasn’t there. I noticed his phone on his desk beside the computer and his brown leather jacket and his black bag on the floor. I decided to sit in his seat. I span around and around before the phone caught my eye again. I know I should have picked it up but I did anyway. I picked it up and tapped in my number, saving it under “Lils”. I didn’t mind when he called me Lils, I still thought of Jamie but it didn’t bring tears anymore. It felt right that he was calling me that.

I waited for a few more minutes but suddenly I felt cold. Rather than getting up and closing the window, I wrapped his jacket around me, inhaling his scent. I closed my eyes and imagined myself in his arms.

“You know if you wanted a hug, you could have asked.” I heard him say.

I pulled my eyes open and pulled him into an embrace. He wrapped his arms around me.

“We shouldn’t be doing this here.” He whispered.

I pulled away and sighed. “I know but I couldn’t help it…”

He kissed my hair and picked up his stuff.

“Come on, I’ll give you a lift.”

I raised an eyebrow. “You kept me behind for no reason?”

“Well it was supposed to be how we usually do it but I have to go visit my Mom.” He told me.

I nodded and followed him to his car.

Yet again he opened the door for me.

“I’m not getting in until you do.” I told him.

“Why? I’m being polite.” He whined playfully.

I couldn’t supress my smile. “Let go of the door.”

He held his hands up and got into the driver’s seat.

“Thanks you.” I smiled and got in, closing the door behind me. “See that wasn’t so hard, was it?”

He rolled his eyes and started to drive.

“It’s been about a month and I still don’t know your favourite colour.” He told me.

I laughed. “It’s turquoise, what about yours?”

“I love it when you wear turquoise. Mine is orange.” He smiled softly.

I made a face. “Orange is horrible!”

“Well not really. I mean, think of that shade of orange the sun goes when it’s setting. That sort of orange is beautiful.”

I sat thoughtful for a minute. “Yeah, you’re right.”

“I also like green. I know green and orange is a hideous combination but green just makes me think of nature, you know, the world is beautiful but there’s not nearly enough green in it.”

My breath got stuck in my throat. What he had just was so true and so beautiful.

“You’re amazing, you know that?” I whispered. “I mean most people take the Earth for granted but you…”