Chapter 13 (Part 1)

I didn’t go to school the day after we broke up. I felt empty inside, hollow and tired. I didn’t have the energy to do anything. I forced myself through the day and decided that I definitely had to go to school the next day. School was slightly better. Slightly. Macy was sympathetic but the boys were happy. Although they tried to be supportive, it annoyed me how happy they were. Then came English. It was agony. I could barely look up at him and carefully avoided me. My life was going back to how it used to be. School, guitar lesson, piano lesson, work and then go home and cry a bit. I hated it. I had so much time left over that I was doing things that I would never usually do. I had started writing song and I had even entered a competition for young pianists which were being held in New York. I was pretty nervous about the competition but it was pretty time consuming.

Two weeks dragged by and I was still sore about the break up. I was consuming more time over playing piano. The competition scared me but I was excited nonetheless. It wasn’t the two hundred dollar cash prise that excited me, no, it was the fact that I was leaving this mess of a life behind. Even if it was for only one night.

“Miss Worthington, I must say you are doing brilliantly. I have high hopes for you in the competition.” Mr Jacobs, my piano teacher told me.

It was lunch time at school and I was catching my final rehearsal with Mr Jacobs.

I carried on playing the song when suddenly I was interrupted by a knock at the door. Mr Jacobs and I both turned to look at the door but unlike Mr Jacobs, I swiftly looked away. Leo was standing at the door looking rather uncomfortable.

“Miss Worthington, please resume.” He told me.

He walked over to the door and I heard the talking. I continued playing but kept an ear out, listening to the conversation.

“Thanks for coming, Leo.” Mr Jacobs said. “So will you do it? Will you chaperoning her to the competition?”

“I’m not too sure, why did you decide to pick me? I mean, I don’t anything about music.” Leo said.

“I know, but you didn’t have a lesson on the day. Everyone else I asked either had a lesson to teach or a meeting to attend. You’d be really helping me out here, man. It’s my best friend’s wedding, I can’t miss it!”

Leo sighed. “Fine, Dan but you should ask her.”

I quickly returned my attention the piano.

“Lily, could we speak to you for a minute?” Mr Jacobs asked.

His tone was softened and he was smiling at me.

“Yeah, what is it?” I asked.

I turned away from the piano and looked up at him.

“I know that competition is only a couple of days away but I’m afraid I will not be able to join you there.” He said. “You see, Miss Worthington, I have a wedding to attend and it rather clashes with the competition.”

I acted as though I was upset. “Oh but sir, I’d really like to go to the competition! What are we going to do?”

“No worries, your English teacher, L-Mr Hudson is willing to take my place. Do you have any objections?”

Yes! I can’t go with him! I can barely spend a lesson with him, let alone a night with him in the next room!  I was screaming internally at myself but I didn’t want Leo to see.

I shrugged nonchalantly, keeping my face emotionless as his face was two weeks ago.  “It’s his choice. It doesn’t affect me…”

I quickly saw the pain flash through his surprised face but averted my eyes.

“Ah, good! All is well then!” Mr Jacobs said happily.

I packed for the competition. Apparently it was very formal. It wasn’t the actual competition that I was intimidated by, but it was the night I was going to spend there. I was taking the plane down to New York and then from there, we would take a cab to the hotel, then stay overnight in rooms next door to each to each other. I admit, it would be slightly weird with Mr Jacobs but I’d be alright. But now, everything was horrible. I was anxious about it but there was a miniscule part of me that was glad it was happening. I pushed it away.

No! He doesn’t care! I growled at myself.

Well maybe he was acting like that to stop the pain! I shot back with myself.

Of course not! He didn’t care and you know it.

Bu-

NO!

The internal battles went on right up into I curled up in bed. I tossed and turned thinking of him and how things used to be between us. Part of me wanted him but part of him told me forcefully that I was being stupid and this was for the best. I just needed to move on.

Unconsciousness finally hit me at the soothing thought of, if he wanted to carry things on, he’d make the first move.