Chapter 18

Days turned to weeks and these weeks turned to a month. It had been a month since I had told my parents about Leo and I. It had also been a month since I had seen Leo and a month since I had spoken to either of my parents.

After my birthday, my parents stopped talking to me. They didn’t call me down to meals and they didn’t ask me if I wanted to go out with them. Sometimes they would go out for a meal with Mel and George but wouldn’t tell me. They didn’t even leave a note. I’d often come home to see no-one around.

I would stay in my room as soon as I got home and I would only leave for the bathroom and I’d come down if I was hungry and would occasionally run into Melissa. She would give me a sorry glance before leaving me alone.

My life was out of my hands and it made me feel numb and hollow inside.

Everyday I’d get a text from Leo which would make me feel warm for about two seconds. I never replied to the messages. Instead, I cried in response.

It was about a month and I couple of weeks after my birthday and I had finally given up. I went to Leo’s house.

No-one was at home when I left and Mom had left a note which said:

Dad’s on a business trip. I had to go New York for a week. Melissa and George are staying with Aunt Annabelle. You need to look after the house.

There was no ‘love from Mom’ at the end, which only made me feel like crying.

I felt sick and lonely. I wanted nothing more than to just curl up and cry. But instead, I went to my room and packed up my clothes and a couple of other things like my phone and laptop and some other essentials. Altogether, I had three, kind of heavy, bags to carry. I wrote a note and put it under Mom’s note on the fridge.

I’ve gone to stay with Leo. I’m tired of the silence and the pain. I know I’m being selfish but I need to be happy too. I love you lots and tell George that I love him.

Love, Lily x

I locked up the house and made sure that everything was firmly closed so that no-one could rob it while it was empty.

Rather than walking to Leo’s house like I usually did, I took the bus. I got off at the right stop and walked up to Leo’s small house. I took a deep breath before knocking on the door.

I shifted the weight of be bags and fiddled with my hair.

The door opened, catching me off guard, making me squeal.

“Lily?” Leo asked, even though he was right in front of me.

I bit my lip, still recovering from the shock of seeing him. I dropped all of my bags and flung myself into his arms.

“Oh god, I’ve missed you.” I whispered.

It was only until know that I had realized just how much I had needed him. I felt as though I would ever let go of him.

“Come inside, Lils. I’ll get all of your stuff.” He told me before pulling away.

I resisted the urge to protest and walked into the house. It felt good to be here. It smelt like he did.

He walked in, carrying all three of my bags.

“Are you going somewhere?” He asked me, sounding concerned.