Chapter 17

Everything turned out exactly how I expected it to. Once we got inside, Mom gave me death glares, Melissa threw me sympathetic looks, and Dad gave me disappointed ones.

I sat down on the couch beside Leo and Mom paced in front of us. She ranted about how “humiliated” she was and how I was “grounded for months”.

Dad was throwing Leo more glares. He was sulking in the corner, not talking to anyone.

Aunt Lindsey was fussing over Lyn in one of the other rooms. At one point, she called Leo.

Leo gave me a small smile and kissed my cheek. “It’ll be fine.”

I watched him leave and Dad walked over to me.

“I can’t believe you would do this, Lily. I expected more from you.” He told me, looking hurt.

“Daddy, please, I’m sorry.” I pleaded.

I felt like crying. Dad was angry because I fell in love. He was angry that I hadn’t told him. He was angry that Leo hadn’t come to ask him if I could go out with him.

“All those times that you said that you were going to Macy’s, all those times that we thought that you were working, you were with him?” He asked me, his voice emotionless.

I sighed and nodded. “Yes b-!”

“This has been happening since he worked at your school?” Dad asked me.

I hesitated for a minute. What would I say? Should I tell the truth? Would Dad get him in trouble?

Dad took my hesitation for a yes.

He suddenly cracked a grin, making me wonder if he had gone crazy.

“That could make him lose his job.” He hissed.

My eyes widened. “No, Daddy, you can’t.”

“I could make sure that he would never get a job.” He said, laughing manically.

“Daddy, no, what use would that be?” I asked him.

“Look at what he’s turned you into!” Dad yelled, turning to me. “You used to be a straight A student, you never used to get detention, you used to work!”

“I still am a straight A student! I still work on the weekends!” I yelled back.

“Not in English, you’re not! You’re getting Bs in English!” He retorted.

“Well, I don’t know why that is!” I lied.

“It’s because of him, Lily. Don’t you see? You used be a good girl. You never used to argue back!” He looked as though he was going to pull his hair out.

“Daddy, it’s not him! Please stop shouting; you’re going to hurt yourself!” I begged.

“You didn’t care about that when you made a fool of yourself in the restaurant!” He told me, angrily.

“I did! You didn’t see how nervous I was. You didn’t see how he comforted me. You didn’t see how he made me confident. You don’t see how much he cares about me!” I snapped at him, standing up.

“No, I don’t see it. He’s brainwashed you!” Dad retorted angrily. “I’m going to kill him.  I’m going to rip him into shreds.”

“No! He didn’t do anything!” I shouted.

“Give me one reason as to why I shouldn’t tear him apart.” Dad told me.

That’s when I broke down. I started sobbing and tears were running down my face.

“Because I love him.” I answered, trying to stop the tears. “I love him, Daddy.”

Dad suddenly froze. He became silent and gave a pained looked before stalking out of the room.

I felt my heart break into two. The slamming of the door only made me collapse onto the sofa. I curled up and sobbed.

“That’s it, we’re going home. We’re going to sort this out, Leo.” I heard Aunt Lindsey say.

Mom glared at me and walked out of the room.

“I need to say bye  to her, Mom.” I heard Leo.

“No, Leo. The last thing we need is for you to do something stupid!” Aunt Lindsey told him sharply.

“Mom, I-!”

“Chris, tell him!” Aunt Lindsey shouted.

“She’s right, Son. You need to give her family some space.” Uncle Chris said.

“But Dad!” He shouted.

“Go. Now. You’ve already torn her family apart, Leo!” Aunt Lindsey shouted firmly.

Leo grumbled something.

“Leo, go now.” Aunt Lindsey told him warningly.

“Lily, I’m sorry.” I heard him mutter.

I started to sob even more.

“I’m so sorry, Marissa.” Lindsey told my mom. “I had no idea.”

“It’s fine. We’ll deal with them.” Mom told her.

“We’d best get going.” She told Mom.

“Bye, Lindsey.” Mom told her.

“See you soon.” Lindsey said.

I heard the door slam shut and Mom walked into the living room.

“Go to your room.” She hissed.

I wiped away my tears and numbly dragged myself to my room. Almost as soon as I closed my bedroom door, my phone vibrated.

I pulled it out and looked at the message.

I’m sorry, I love you. x

I shut the phone and threw in into a drawer. I felt like some-one had cut me down the middle. I had just lost one of the most important men in my life.