Chapter 15

The next couple of weeks were so hectic. Dad had come from the hospital and was home a lot more than we were used to. I tried to spend a lot of time with him but I also tried to spend as much time as I could with Leo. It was to make up for how long we’d spent apart.

With Dad being home and Leo trying to make up for breaking up with me, I just kept going back and forth between them. It was starting to get quite tiring but it was great having Dad home. It was like we were all suddenly a normal family again. Mom was at home quite a lot too. She took care of Dad while we at home- not that he needed it. He was already quite bored of being at home. He was still working from the house and we all knew that he didn’t like it. He was going to work for the first time in weeks today. Both Mom and I were worrying like hell but he assured us that he’d be completely fine.

I went to school feeling both worried and nervous.                                                         

“Are you alright, Lily?” Macy asked me as we walked to school.

“Kind of. Just a little worried.” I sighed.

“You’re acting like my Mom. You know what she’s like. She worried over everything.” Macy told me.

I rolled my eyes. “Yeah, I know. Sorry you had to see all of this.”

“It’s fine Lily. I’ll always be there when you need me.”

Macy was the only one in the school acted normal with me. Everyone seemed to have heard about Dad and were acting weird around me. Teachers were letting me off on homework, student were kept asking me if I was okay. It was starting to get on my nerves. Even Mike and Jason were acting weird around me. If it hadn’t been for Macy, I’d have gone insane.

School days dragged on. I had started to hate school and things were getting so boring. I just wanted to get up and leave.

“Lily, could you stay please?” Leo asked me after our English lesson.

It was the last lesson of the day and so it sounded as though I was in trouble to the other students.

I sat down on one of the desks and watched as the other students filed out of the room. Macy smiled at me as she passed. Once everyone had left, Leo shut the door.

He walked over to me and took my hand. “Look, Lils, I have some news. It might be good or it might be bad, that’s your choice. I just want you to hear me out, okay?”

“What is it, Leo?” I asked him, frowning slightly.

“Well, basically, when we… broke up, I applied for another job. In another school. I just couldn’t stand seeing you near me and not being able to do or say anything for you.” He sighed. “Look, they offered me a place. I don’t know if I should take it. I mean, your birthday is in a few weeks and if I’m not your teacher anymore, well… then we can tell everyone.”

I frowned at him for a minute. Should he take it? Should we tell everyone? Things could finally be normal for me…

“I don’t know, Leo. It’ll be weird not having you around…”

“I know but we can be together properly. Lily, it’s completely your choice.” He wrapped his arms around me.

I closed my eyes as I leant into his chest and inhaled his scent. “It’s your job. You decide.”

“Well, the school is only down the road. There’s slightly more money.” He stroked my hair.

I sighed. “You can’t pass the offer, Leo. Take it. It’s better for the both of us. I’ll miss you.”

“But you’ll have me every hour after school.” He kissed my hair.

“Okay. Take it, Leo.” I pulled away slightly so that I could reach up and kiss his lips.

He smiled at me and pulled away so he could take my hand.

“Come on, I’ll give you a ride home.”