Chapter 10

I woke up early the next morning. I sat up to see Macy sleeping on my sofa-bed. I dragged myself to the bathroom washed, brushed and got dressed. Once I left the bathroom, I noticed Macy putting the sofa-bed back to the sofa state.

“I’ll do it. You go and get ready.”

She smiled at me gratefully and hurried into the bathroom, taking the bag she had packed her clothes in yesterday. I swiftly put the sofa back.

Macy stepped out of the bathroom and together we went downstairs. My family were all in the kitchen eating breakfast and so was James. 

“Merry Christmas!” they shouted in unison.

Macy and I looked at each other and grinned. “Merry Christmas!”

I went around the table and kissed each member of my family on the cheeks before hugging both James and Macy. We ate breakfast excitedly.

“Okay, so here’s the plan.” Mom started. “We’re going to eat breakfast. Open presents, you kids will get an hour to see your friends and then we’re throwing a Christmas party.”

“A Christmas party?” Melanie asked curiously.

Mom nodded. “Yeah, I’ve invited your friends and some of my friends from college and work.”

“Sounds good.” I said.

George jumped in his seat. “Presents! Let’s go and open the presents!”

Macy and I helped Mom put the dishes in the dishwasher before hurrying to the living room where the Christmas tree was.

Presents took about an hour to open and exchange. I received a pair of straighteners from Melanie, a gift card from James, a whole new outfit from Macy and a new phone from my parents.

I gave a dress with matching shoes to Macy, Melanie a big make-up case, George a big fire truck, a gift card to James, a watch to Mom and a matching watch to Dad.

After the presents Macy and I headed out to see Mike and Jason. We were meeting them at a café. Once we go there we ordered some coffee and sat near a window. I looked outside.

“I’m so happy it’s a white Christmas… I mean, it’s never really Christmas without any snow…”

They all agreed with me. We finally got our drinks and started to talk and exchange gifts.

“What happened to you, yesterday?” He asked me.

“I just had a lot to drink…” I muttered, looking down at my coffee.               

“Yeah, I saw that. How come Mr Hudson came to pick you up?” he asked me.

“I don’t know…” I kept my eyes away from him.

“You have to answer me, Lily.” He said seriously. “You told me to call ‘Leo’. Why do you have his number? What’s going on Lily? Are you two…?”

I couldn’t hold it any longer. I let it all spill. I told him and Jason about everything. Even about the childhood friends bit. They looked freaked out and slightly worried as Macy sat looking smug in the corner.

“You and him? “ Mike sputtered.

I nodded, drinking a long sip of coffee. “I love him…”

At that point Jason choked on his own drink. Macy smacked his back.

“You can’t be serious!” he coughed.

I nodded again.

“I can’t believe we didn’t realize…” I could tell Mike was pretty mad. “Why didn’t you tell us earlier?”