III

I screamed as I saw the face of my childhood best friend, Edward Elric. Next to him, the suit of armor bounded over to me and crushed me in a big hug. "Oh, Evelyn, we are so glad to see you again!" He cried comical tears.

I looked up at the armor, perplexed. "Alphonse? Is that you in there?"

"Um...yeah!" He rubbed the back of his head, his voice echoing inside the armor.

I gave him a quick stare, scanning up and down his armored body. "Jeez Al...I knew you were cautious...but I didn't think you'd be this cautious!" I laughed, pointing at the armor.

"Well...um..." Alphonse stammered.

"I'm glad you three are having a reunion," Colonel Mustang smiled, leaning to the side so he could see the short Edward. "Fullmetal...we're leaving in an hour to see Tucker. Make sure you are ready by then. Alphonse and Clockwork, you're coming with him."

"Yes sir!" We saluted at him.

"And please...take this reunion outside. I have work to do," he said.

Edward opened the door and Alphonse and I stepped back and Edward followed, closing the door behind him. He held out his hand and I shook it. "Nice seeing you again, Evelyn," he smiled awkwardly.

"Yes...it is," I awkwardly smiled back. "So, Edward and Alphonse, why are you researching the Philosopher Stone?"

"Oh...you know...it's powers and stuff," Edward rubbed the back of his head, glancing to the side.

I frowned. "Is it really?' I asked suspiciously.

Edward and Alphonse awkwardly laughed but I cut them off. "You both stopped writing back for a while..." I mumbled. "I still wrote back but neither of you nor Winry responded. I guess I kinda stopped writing back too, but why...?"

"Evelyn, we're sorry," Alphonse responded. "We got kinda busy so writing letters didn't become a huge priority...anyways how's Grace?"

That hit me like a punch to the gut. I gulped and hoped they didn't notice as I gave them a awkward smile. "Oh...you know...she's on a study aboard program and she's at...Xing...studying alkahestry..." I muttered.

"Whoa!" Edward's eyes bulged out of his head. "Xing? Seriously?"

"Yeah, she's really lucky," I smiled. "I'll tell her you guys are back so she'll write to you both as well."

"I still can't believe you're the Colonel's niece,' Edward sighed. "How can someone so cocky like him have you as his niece?"

"I don't know," I laughed, remembering that photo sitting on his desk. It was taken the day I passed the state alchemist test and was named the Clockwork Alchemist. Colonel was so proud of me. The photo was me in my new, blue, soldier's uniform saluting as Colonel had one hand on my shoulder as he stood deadpanned and we stood underneath the Amestris flag at the military headquarters. It was meant to be a picture of Grace, Colonel, and I, but we never got to take that photo.

"Oh Eviiieeeee~" A voice swooned.

I turned blue. "Oh no..." I said as Maes Hughes tackles me and rubbed his face against mine.

"Evie!" He laughed. "I heard you scored a position with the Fullmetal Alchemist!"

"EVIE?!" Edward and Alphonse cried.

"Hughes..." I facepalmed, a vein pulsing on my head. "How many times I have to tell you not to call me that?"

He pointed at Alphonse. "You! Are you the Fullmetal Alchemist!" He shouted, ignoring my reminder.

"Me???" Alphonse laughed. "Oh no, I'm his younger brother Alphonse. This is him." He gestured to Edward, who was giving Hughes a murderous stare for mistaking Alphonse as Fullmetal.

"Oh! I apologize!" Hughes apologized. "It's just when I heard 'Fullmetal' I instantly assumed they meant you wore complete armor..."

"We get that a lot," Alphonse assured.

"Anyways," he said, squeezing me in a tighter hug.

"Hughes...get off me!" I choked. "I get enough of you and your scruffy beard at home when you come home nearly ever night with Colonel!"

"Aw, call him your uncle!"

"It's already awkward enough calling him by his rank in the military, so no."

"Darn..." Hughes pulled out a photo of Elicia from his pocket. In this photo, Elicia was (attempting) to read a book. "Have I told you about Elicia today?" He swooned.

Oh no. Once Hughes starts, he won't stop until another 707 hours. I shoved him off. "You know what?" I suggested. "Since you're most likely going to be at our apartment tonight, why don't you tell me and Colonel about Elicia then?"

"Oh! Great idea!" He grinned. "What's better than telling Mustang's favorite niece about my daughter? Telling Mustang and his favorite niece about my daughter at the same time!"

"Glad you like it," I said. "Now, get back to work and stop procrastinating about your daughter!"

As Hughes went on his way, I shouted, "Hughes, I am his only niece!" I sighed, glad to be free from his grasp. I turned back to the duo of brothers. "Evie?" Edward asked, almost laughing.

"Hey, I didn't come up with it!" I stammered, looking away as I blushed. "Hughes came up with that stupid nickname one day and kept calling me that, despite my protests!"

"Well, if you don't like being called 'Evie', then what do you prefer?" Edward ask.

"Let me think..." I paused, placing a finger underneath my chin. I snapped my fingers. "I know! Eve!"

Edward and Alphonse deadpanned. "Yeah, I prefer 'Evie' more," Edward commented. "How about you, Alphonse?"

"Yeah," he agreed.

"H-Hey!" I snapped, pouting and looking away, blushing. I clicked open my pocket watch to check the time. "Shouldn't we be meeting up with the Colonel? It's nearly an hour now."

"Yeah," Alphonse nodded.

As we made it back to the Colonel's office, Edward turned around to look at me. "Also, Eve," he said. "Call us Ed and Al. We're your best friends, not strangers."

"Yeah," I smiled.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Gif because mood