XX

I awoke in the hospital. Getting a sense of déjà vu, I sat up suddenly and grabbed my left arm. I sighed wth relief when it was still intact. A sharp pain burned my side and I yelped, clutching the bandages area and made the pain worse as I grabbed a tender area. I lifted my scrub to see that my side was completely bandaged. I didn't want to unwrap the bandaged and see what was underneath, but I'm betting I have stitches since it feels kinda tight down there.

Noticing that my arm was attached to an IV tube, I grabbed onto it and slowly climbed out of bed. Leaning on the flimsy pole for support, I carefully wheeled myself out f the room, looking down the corridors to see if I could spot the Colonel. Seeing nothing, I wheeled the tube some more but the sudden transition from hardwood floor and smooth tiles was too sudden for the IV pole as it slipped and I screamed, my legs already feeling like jelly so losing support didn't help at all. I came crashing down onto the floor, my ribs set on fire from the collision.

My crash attracted the attention of other patients, as some stuck their heads out of the room to see what was all the noise. Lieutenant Hawkeye was one of them. She gasped, seeing what my crumpled state. "Evelyn! What are you doing up and walking so suddenly? The doctors told us that you were still in intensive care and shouldn't be walking right now!"

"I wanted to see the Colonel..." I explained as she helped me up.

"He's doing fine," she replied. "You need to go back to your room."

She wheeled my IV pole while also dragging me along back to me bed and helped me in. "You should rest for a little while," Lieutenant Hawkeye softened. "You took a really hard hit. Relax and rest. The Colonel and I will inform you of any sudden changes that happen."

Feeling tired after Lieutenant Hawkeye stepped out, I closed my eyes and whey back to sleep.

*~*~*~*~*~

I woke up, feeling well-rested and jittery. I felt like I had made up all the lost hours of sleep. Someone softly knocked on the door and a nurse stepped in. She gave me a big smile, "Two young men both named Mr. Elric have requested to see you."

Edward and Alphonse? What are they doing here? After that big fight with Edward, I thought he didn't even want to see my face again. My chest tightened as I remembered Edward's fight with me when Ross was killed. I deadpanned but smiled anyways. "Tell them to come in." I said.

"Okay," she nodded before leaving. "I also recommend to travel using wheelchair because although you're out of intensive care, you should give your body a break."

I nodded and she stepped out. I held my breath, waiting for the screaming of a lifetime as two bodies quickly entered the room. "Eve!" They both yelled.

"Hello Ed, Al," I said. "How are you two doing right now?"

Edward surprised me with a bug hug. I was unable to hug back, too shocked at this sudden gesture of affection. "How could you be worried about us in a time like this?!" He shouted.

Alphonse stood awkwardly as Edward pulled back. I helped my arms out for the armored boy. "Come on, bring it in," I joked.

Alphonse leaned forward awkwardly and I hugged him gently. As I pulled back, he said awkwardly. "Well, I better go now...bye!" He turned, sprinted to the door opened it and slammed it shut so hard the room shook.

As soon as he left. Edward grabbed both of my hands and held them in his. "I was so worried about you!" He began to ramble. "When I got back I heard from Alphonse that you were in the hospital and that you might not make it since you lost so much blood and I...I..."

"Ed!" I yelled at him, making him stop at his rambling as I looked at him directly in the eye and saw how worried he was for me, which was sweet and all but our fight still lingered in my mind. "I thought you were furious at me with Ross..." I trailed.

"You almost died and the thing you're worried about the most is about our fight!" Edward shouted at me. "I found out the entire thing was a set up and she's okay. You and the Colonel sure do know how to act..."

"Yeah," I laughed nervously.

"Anyways, I'm really sorry about slapping you," Edward sighed.

"Ed," I gently told him. "You didn't know. Heck, if I were in your shoes, I'd probably want to kill me as well."

We both laughed as Edward tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and pecked me where he had slapped me, which made me go quiet as my entire face went red. "I...what...you...uh..." I began to sputter, not being able to say anything coherent.

As Edward pulled back slightly, he looked down and muttered, "Aw screw it." He grabbed my shoulders and pulled me into a kiss on the lips. My eyes widened as he pulled back, just as red-faced as me as he looked away. "I...really...like you, okay?" He choked out his words. "And...I want us to be more than best friends."

Silence filled the both of us as I lowered my gaze, processing everything that was told to me before I raised my left arm up and slapped myself hard across the cheek. "Eve!" Edward jumped at what I just did.

"I'm such an idiot!" I cried as I grabbed fistfuls of my hair with both hands as I titled my head up, groaning. "I'm! Such! And! Idiot!" I enunciated each word with a yank of my hair. "I shouldn't be having these feelings!"

"So...you don't like me?" Edward asked as his eyes filled with hurt.

"No, of course I like you!" I shouted back. "I love you, in fact! That's why I'm like this! I shouldn't be harboring these feelings at all!"

"Why?" Edward questioned.

"Frat laws," I explained. "Soldiers can't date other soldiers within the military. Basically, we're not allowed to be romantically involved with each other. I guess the one thing I could be grateful for is that were aren't superior and subordinate."

I sighed. "I love you, Ed, I really do," I told him. "That's why I'm making this exception just this once."

"Exception?" Edward titled his head, confused.

"I'm going to date you, no matter what rules the military have in place for us," I told him, determination in my eyes. "Because I love you that much I'm willing to break the rules for once. Plus, with a soldier like me that's looked up to by so many other soldiers, who would suspect me as someone who would break the rules?"

We both laughed as Edward leaned back in and we shared another tender kiss, hands interlocked with one another.

*~*~*~*~*~

Colonel Mustang closed the door to Evelyn's room and stepped back, not believing what he had just saw and heard. Lieutenant Hawkeye was only steps behind him. "Colonel?" She asked. "Sir? Are you alright? You look quite green."

"...Lieutenant," he finally spoke. "Remind me to knock on doors from this day on."

"Huh? Sir? I-I'm afraid I don't understand..."

"I said it quite clearly." Colonel trudged away as Hawkeye followed, unsure of the Colonel's strange orders. But, Colonel secretly smiled, reminding himself to pay a certain someone from a bet they both had when he had the chance.