XXII

Winry, now sniffling, since she had recovered from crying so hard, held my hand as I escorted her back to the hotel she was in. Suddenly, a car pulled up to where we were and the driver rolled down the window. There was Colonel Mustang. "Clockwork!" He barked. "What are you doing here instead of guarding Fullmetal's life? It hasn't even been a full hour since I issued out the order and you're going against me already?!"

"Apologies, sir!" I saluted him. "My best friend was in danger and I am helping her back to her hotel safely!"

"Hm, I guess I'll let that slide. Anyways, I need you here with me now. There has been a change of plans."

"Plans? What plans?"

"Fullmetal had the crazy idea to pick a fight with Scar to attract attention of the Homunculi and capture one of them. It backfired terribly. Although we do have a Homunculi, we have a critically injured soldier who needs medical help."

"Colonel, I need to take Winry--"

"NOW Clockwork."

"But..." I argued but Winry placed a hand on my shoulder. I turned to face her and she smiled softly, her eyes still red from crying. "It's okay," she assured me. "You done enough. They need you now; more than I do. Go. I will be alright."

I sighed, "Promise me you will head straight to your hotel room and wait there until further notice?"

"Promise," she nodded.

I nodded as well as Colonel opened the car door and I climbed in. He rolled up the window and dove away and Winry wove goodbye at me weakly as I waved goodbye at her while inside the car.

*~*~*~*~*~

After driving around Central to find Dr. Knox's house, we ran into Edward and Alphonse along the way. He stamped on the breaks in front of the two. "Colonel..." Edward started.

"Get in," he ordered.

Edward and Alphonse got into the car and Colonel Mustang drove for a bit more before stopping in front of a house. "Wait here," he ordered as he got out of the car and waited in front of the house. Dr. Knox appeared and Colonel saluted him.

"I've got a badly injured person," Colonel informed. "I need a doctor."

"Gone out on another limb, huh?" Dr. Knox sneered as he pushed open the metal gate. "You little punk."

"I know you have a family," Colonel dropped to a whisper but was still pleading with the doctor. "If this is a problem, you can decline."

"...Wait here," he sighed. "I'll get my instruments."

"You sure?" Colonel, asked, surprised at how quickly he agreed.

"My wife and I broke up soon after I got back from Ishval," Dr. Knox stated.

*~*~*~*~*~

We were stationed at a lone cabin in the woods as Dr. Knox was preforming surgery on a Xingese girl who had her arm amputated. Lieutenant Hawkeye was in the room with him. From the other side, I could hear her screaming through the gag and Dr. Knox cursing.