XLII

I was at the train station with Edward. We were sitting on a bench, waiting for the train arrive. He was slumped and I was ticking off the things to remind him. Winry had asked me to do this as she got caught up with another customer and couldn't make it to the station. "Remember to oil your automail every day." I reminded.

"Yeah," Edward grunted.

"Be sure to check that the screws are tight, too."

"I know."

"Be sure to wipe off all the water on it after you bath."

"Right..."

"Hey, are you even listening?!"

"Sure..."

"Ugh! Look, I know you've been a bit upset for a little while that I came home right before you are about to leave. But, cheer up! You're about to travel the unknown! You don't want to have a grumpy face on as you're traveling and learning, right?"

The train whistled and pulled up at the small station, opening its gates. "Here it is," I said as I glanced downwards at him and he had a pained expression. "Look, don't be like that!" I was trying to act positive but honestly it was starting to wear me down a bit. "Knowing you, you'll probably ignore Winry's reminders and you're going to break it and you'll have to come back. You'll see me then, right?" I leaned in close to him. "But don't break it on purpose just so you can see me," I threatened. "You'll piss Winry off."

"Yeah, yeah, I know," Edward sighed as he got up and began to board the train.

"Oh, one last thing," I said, smiling. "Write to me. I'll write back, and hopefully I can write more without a stack of paperwork distracting me."

Edward stopped and he turned back around to face me. "Eve?" He asked. He opened his mouth but no words came out.

"What is it?" I giggled. "Just spit it out. And make it quick. We don't want the train leaving on you, right?"

Edward began to gnaw his lip and blushed. He really looked like he was struggling to say something. Then he pointed at me and cried out, "Equivalent exchange!"

"Huh?" I gave him a confused look.

"I'll give half of my life to you if you give half of yours to me!" Edward pronounced as he sucked in a nervous breath. It took me a moment to process the whole thing. I took in a shocked breath and burst out laughing.

"Ed, is that really how you're going to ask me out?" I laughed, doubling over and clutching my stomach. "Because that is the worst way to do it. And you used alchemy! Out of all the things, you had to make a reference to alchemy when asking me out to me!"

"WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?!" Edward yelled, offended.

"Fine," I snickered. "If you want to to reply back referencing alchemy, here you go! Forget half of my life, I'll give you my whole life!"

Edward stopped shaking. His blush wasn't so obvious. I realized what had just happened and I covered my mouth, blushing, "What, you're serious? You...want to take me out...?"

"Yeah...?" He quietly replied.

"Oh my gosh...!" I blushed as I looked away nervously. "Oooookay, in that case, maybe I shouldn't give my whole life. How about ninety percent? Perhaps eighty? Or...or..."

Edward snickered at me fumbling over words and I whipped back at him, glaring through a scarlet blush. "What?" I yelled. "Ed! Shut up!"

Edward'a snickers turned into a roar of laughter as he clutched his stomach as I still glared at him, taking offense in his reaction. "Sorry!" Edward gasped for breath as he doubled over in laughter.

"Ed!"

"You really are amazing! You turn equivalent exchange on its ear so easily!"

"What do you mean? Are you making fun of me?"

"No, I'm not!"

Edward got back up and hugged me tightly. I hugged back in response. "You've cheered me up," He sighed. "Thanks. Goodbye, for now."

"Come back soon," I smiled in the hug.

As we pulled back, Edward quickly pecked me on the lips before he boarded the train. Just before it left, he turned, leaned over the railing, and waved at me. I waved back until the train disappeared from sight. Winry jogged up to me. "Ugh!" She groaned, bending over her knees, panting. "I missed Ed's train! All that rush for nothing!" She noticed my dazed state. "Eve, what's wrong?" She asked. "You're blushing."

"I-I am?" I snapped out of my daze.

"What did Ed do to you to make you like this?" She squinted at me in playful suspicion.

"Nothing much!" I blushed, looking down and twiddling my fingers. "Just...asked me out. But in the dorkiest fashion ever. He brought alchemy into it."

"But you still liked it!" Winry closed her eyes and laughed.

"Yeah..." I smiled through my blush as I looked up at the clear blue sky.

Who knew that when Edward returned home for maintenance, he took me out on that date like he promised at the train station. Then, that one date became another when he came back again, and another and another and another and in just a few years, beside my parent's bedside with our family photo of them, Grace and I, would be joined by a new photo of Edward and I with our kids. And next with it would be a photo album filled with pictures of our friends that we made during our journey together.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
*throws keyboard across the room* YES I FINALLY FINISHED IT! I FINALLY FINISHED EDITING THIS STORY! I AM SO DONE WITH IT!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*throws keyboard across the room* YES I FINALLY FINISHED IT! I FINALLY FINISHED EDITING THIS STORY! I AM SO DONE WITH IT!

( ^ Steven is my friends, Gems are me)

It took me about one year to finish editing this story, and I'm go glad it's over! Thanks to everyone who sticked by me and read through all the editing I was doing and was patient during times when I didn't update. I'll admit that my inconsistent updating schedule drives some people crazy hahaha...
Most of all, thank YOU for reading this stories and voting and commenting on it!
Now, excuse me as I go and sleep for once without worrying about when am I releasing the next chapter of this fanfic.