XXI

I sat on my hospital bed, reading a book I was given to pass time for the billionth time that I could practically recite it in my sleep. I was out of intensive care but was given strict orders that I couldn't leave for another few days. Just as I turned the page, unamused, the door to my room slammed open. I drop the book, startled, as the Colonel Mustang and Lieutenant Hawkeye strolled into my room. "W-What's going on?" I trembled, surprised at the sudden outburst.

"The Colonel has received some heavy news," Lieutenant Hawkeye filled me in as she bowed respectfully. "I apologize for the sudden intrusion."

"N-No worries. If you mind me asking, what's the news?" I asked.

"Havoc is retiring," Colonel trembled.

"WHAT?!" I screeched. "But why?"

"When that damn homunculus stabbed him in the back, it damaged the base of his spinal cord, paralyzing him permanently. It's irreversible wth any kind of alchemy, unless we have a Philosopher's Stone."

"T-That's so horrible! Send him my regards."

"Will do. Anyways, I'm here for a reason. I'm assigning you a mission."

"Um...in case you haven't noticed I'm in the middle of recovery right now."

"I know, I know. But I'm just telling you now. I'm assigning you a long-term mission which will require you to leave my unit. Since you are doing that, I will need to fill out a form requesting that you still can stay in Central headquarters with me."

"Stop beating around the bush and tell me."

"Fine then. I'm assigning you to be the protector of Fullmetal. You are to escort him and follow him at all times. His life should come before yours in a life-or-death situation."

"Okay then..."

Colonel and Lieutenant Hawkeye stared at me intensely as I processed the information given to me. Once I realized what he had said, I was angry. "OH I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE COLONEL!!!" I screamed as he and Lieutenant Hawkeye chuckled at how dense I was to realizing this.

While they were laughing and I was fuming, the door opened again and Major Armstrong entered, ducking underneath the door frame. "Colonel, Clockwork, I am glad to see you both are here, safe," he stated.

"Major, what's up?" Colonel asked.

"Big news. Bad news," he informed, pulling out two pieces of paper from his coat and giving them to us. "Issued out by the Führer himself, in fact," he added.

Colonel and I took the pieces of paper and opened them, reading the contents inside. Our eyes widened in shock. The letters read:

This is a citywide announcement from the Provost Marshal's office.It appears that Scar has once again surfaced in Central. Three are dead, all of them State Alchemists, as well as several others wounded. According to eyewitness reports, he is distinguished as being an Ishvalan, having a large cross-shaped scar on his forehead, as well as a tattoo over his entire right arm.

We were shocked at the news, and I was panicking. With Scar on the loose as well as Edward and Alphonse being here, it won't be long until he tracks them and kills them himself this time. It was inevitable. Ignoring the fact that I was still in recovery, I threw the blankets off me and ran to my causal clothes that were sitting on the chair. It wasn't my military uniform, but it will do. "Clockwork, what are you doing?!" Colonel shouted.