VI

"EVELYN!!!" Someone hit me on the head with a hardcover book. I sat up on the couch, crying from the pain as I held my head. Uncle Roy stood above me, holding a book with a annoyed look on his face. "Evelyn, I've been trying to wake you up for the past 15 minutes!" He scolded. "Get more sleep-you sleep like a log when you are trying to make up the hours."

I yawned, picking at my ear. "What's up?" I asked.

"The military called us in for a emergency investigation," Uncle Roy explained as he buttoned up his jacket.

Sleepily, I tried to make it out of the couch but ended up getting tangled with the sheets. I cried out as I rolled off the couch, trying to untangle my limbs. Uncle Roy sighed as he helped me up. "You fell asleep in your clothes. Good," he said, throwing my jacket at me. "At leas we won't have to struggle of you changing out."

As I buttoned on my military jacket as Uncle Roy put on a black trench coat outside his uniform, I asked, "What's the emergency?"

"There's been a death," he informed. "Two deaths, actually. Both at the Tucker household."

*~*~*~*~*~

It was still raining, not lightening up the slightest from yesterday as Colonel Mustang and I stepped into the crime scene. Both bodies were covered up with blankets. Hughes and Armstrong were already at the scene, chatting with other military officers. Hughes glanced at us and saw our arrival. "Looks like we were a bit late," he sighed.

"We have to go after him soon," Major Armstrong suggested. "Or else..."

"You sound you like knew this was going to happen," Colonel stated. "What happened?"

Hughes and Major Armstrong stared at him for a bit. Major Armstrong sighed, "Lately there has been a string of murders, all involving State Alchemists. The cause of their deaths were always the same-their brains blown up from inside out. We have a few theories of the motives, but no confirmation yet."

"Do we have any reports of who the serial killer is or who they look like?" Colonel asked.

"Yes," Hughes nodded. "Second Lieutenant Ross picked up some info on this killer. He has a large, noticeable scar on his face. Because of that, we call him Scar."

"Hm..." Colonel placed a finger under his chin. "I don't know anyone of that described appearance. How about you, Evelyn?"

"No," I shook my head no. "Wait-you said he targets State Alchemists?" I asked.

"Yes," Armstrong repeated. "Lately the attacks have been concentrated in Central."

"Oh no!" I gasped, covering my mouth. "Edward is a alchemist! He could be targeted next!"

"Well, then go to headquarters and see if he's okay," Colonel ordered. "Get him and Alphonse to a safe place and hide. The murders have been recent so he might strike today as well. Go!"

*~*~*~*~*~

I sprinted through the ran, panting heavily with each burning step. I stumbled and had to slow down to regain my balance. Once I did and took a quick breather, I sprinted back to headquarters. Just as I feared, a man, matching Hughes' description, stood in front of Edward and Alphonse as they sat beside a statue. "EDWARD! ALPHONSE!" I screamed, catching their attention as well as the man's attention. I clapped my hands and slammed down onto the ground, splashing a bit from the heavy rain and sent a spark of a explosion at the man. The ground gave away underneath the man and he stumbled, falling to the rocking ground.