XXXIX

We all gathered around Al's empty armor. "What happened?" Colonel Mustang asked, looking around with his eyes closed. Even if he did open them it wouldn't change anything as he still wouldn't be able to see anything. "Is it over? Did we win?"

"Yes, sir, it's over," Lieutenant Hawkeye replied. "However, Alphonse's body hasn't returned from the other side."

May was bent over, sobbing, "I'm sorry...I couldn't do anything..."

"It's not your fault, May," Edward said. "It was Al's decision."

"Ed!" Ling called. "I have the toll!" He held up a liquified Philosopher's Stone in a vial. "Take it. It's a Philosopher's Stone. Use this Stone to get Al's body back."

"As I much as I want to...I can't..." Edward wiped his eyes. "I promised Al that we wouldn't use a Philosopher's Stone to get our bodies back."

"Edward..." Hohenheim said as he was helped up by Izumi. "Use me as the toll to bring Alphonse back. I have enough life energy to bring him back."

"Shut up, you dumbass!" Edward shouted. "I'll never use you! It's our fault that we lost our bodies, and I don't want to pull anyone else into this! And why, out of all of the people out here, would want me to sacrifice you?"

"Because I'm his father, Ed. This isn't about need, or reason. You two are dear to me. I want you to be happy. I have to take some responsibility that because I neglected you two, the two of you ended up like this. I'm sorry. I have lived long enough anyways. I want to live out the last moments of my life as a true father. Please Ed!"

"Stop saying those ridiculous things! Don't even try, you rotten father! Don't ever say anything like that again! I'll lay you out!"

Ed still had his fists clenched and he was crying, his tears mixing with the blood on his face. Hohenheim teared up, "I'm sorry, Edward."

He wiped his eyes and clenched his fist, trying to think up of something to help bring Alphonse back. He glanced at all of us, hoping we had some idea but we had nothing. We were all clueless on how to get Alphonse back. If anything, it would've be impossible. Suddenly, Edward's face softened with realization as he unclasped his closed fists. "Al..." May was bent over, sobbing. "Al...Al..."

"May, stand back a bit," Edward stood up. He took a large stick and everyone backed away. Edward began drawing a huge transmutation circle around Alphonse's armor.

"That's...a human transmutation circle!" Ling cried.

"I'll be back in a few," Edward promised. "This is the Fullmetal Alchemist's final transmutation." He clapped his hands and placed them on the ground.

"EDWARD!" We all protested but it was too late. A bright light appeared and Ed was gone. After a few minutes, he reappeared with a malnourished, pale, blonde boy. The skinny boy had distinct similarities with Edward. Could it be Alphonse's body?

"Help!" He said. "I got Al!" Yup, that was Alphonse.

Zampano took off his shirt and used it as pillow and Mustang offered his overcoat as a blanket. Alphonse was laid down on it. After about a few moments, Alphonse opened his eyes. "Are you all right, Alphonse?" Darius grinned.

"Zampano, Darius, all of you..." Alphonse mumbled, eyes glancing at all of us. "Dad..."

"Alphonse," Hohenheim smiled as he reached his hand out. "Welcome back."

Edward helped Alphonse sit up and he reached out and Hohenheim let him grab his hand. Alphonse closed his eyes, relishing the sensation of feeling skin-to-skin contact once more. "I'm home..." He muttered. "It's so warm..."

"Alphonse!" May cried, clinging onto him.

"May!" Alphonse gasped.

"I was...I was..." She sobbed tears of joy as she hugged him as tight but at the same time as gentle as she could as Alphonse was still fragile.

"Oh right, sorry," Alphonse remembered. "That was a hard thing to put you through. Thanks, May." He smiled and hugged her back.

*~*~*~*~*~

Most of everyone had left to sort things out from the entire mess the Promised Day had caused. Edward, Alphonse, Ling, Lan Fan, May, and I were one of the last to leave. "May," Alphonse started.

"Al," May looked up from her crouched position.

"What's the matter?"

"Oh, it's nothing."

"Hey, princess of the Chang family!" Ling yelled. He and Lan Fan approached May, who stood up.

"Ling Yao!" She hissed.

"Hey now, don't make that scary face at me," Ling sighed as he knelt down at her. "You've been a fool, too, getting mixed up in the troubles of a foreign country like this. You didn't even end up with a Philosopher's Stone, huh?" He flashed her the vial containing the Stone. "The Yaos will the next emperor, then." May looked as if she were going to burst into tears at her damaged pride.  "But don't worry. The Yao family will take it upon ourselves to protect your family.  I even accepted the Homunculus Greed. I will accept those of the Chang family and all the other families, as well." May and her panda burst into tears. "What's with that face?" Ling smiled as he rubbed May's head. "Don't worry, the people of Xing always keep their word, right?"

"Ling Yao..." May sobbed. "Taking everyone in like that, is just so greedy of you!"

"Ah, I guess he has rubbed it off of me." Ling rubbed his temples with his fingers.

Edward and Alphonse looked at each other before grinning. "Now then, let's go home," Ling stood back up.

You're leaving so soon?" I asked.

"Yeah," Ling sighed. "I want to bury Fu as soon as possible."

Fu must've fallen during the battle. A life lost that was ultimately worth the price. "We'll see you around," Edward promised, giving Ling one last first bump before Ling, Lan Fan, and May turned and left Central Command.