XXXI

Just as Edward, Miles, the other soldiers and I ran out of the building Scar blew up half the building with his alchemy. We ran even faster to avoid the flying debris. The other soldiers that accompanied Kimblee were yelling from what just happened. "Damn it!" Edward coughed through the smoke.

"Fullmetal Alchemist?" Kimblee asked.

"Kimblee!" Edward shouted. "Why, you! How come you didn't keep an eye on Winry?"

Kimblee flinched at the news. "Mr. Kimblee!" A solider cried out. "Up, on the roof!"

Just as Kimblee and us turned our heads at the roof, amidst the smoke stood an ominous-looking Scar while holding a supposed unconscious Winry over his arm hostage-style. "Do you remember, Kimblee, when we first met?" Scar called. "The situation is reserved now!"

"Don't you look down on me!" Kimblee shouted.

"Kimblee, why you!" Edward growled, grabbing hold of Kimblee by the collar, causing his usual fedora to fall off. "Why? Why is Winry here? Here we're finally cornered Scar, and now he's taken her hostage!"

"Stand aside," Kimblee stated coldly. as he slipped off his gloves and stretched his hands out, revealing his tattooed hands just like my hands.

"You dumbass!" Edward shrieked, letting go of Kimblee to grab his wrists instead. "Stop, Crimson Alchemist! Can't you see Winry up there?"

"I wish you would keep out of my way," Kimble growled.

Scar blew up more of the building, causing the bigger pieces of debris to land just mere inches away from us. By god is Scar taking this act seriously. I mean, his original intentions were to kill every single State Alchemist that stepped in his way, so I don't exactly blame him. Through the smoke, Scar exited the scene. "Just a moment, Scar!" Kimblee shouted as he ran after him.

"Mr. Kimblee!" A soldier stopped him by grabbing his shoulder. "It's too dangerous to get close to the building! Fall back!"

"A snowstorm is moving in!'

"Hurry!"

In the chaos of the moving soldiers, Kimblee just stood, staring at the damaged building that Scar was just in. We all ignored him as we began to head back. As soon as we began the trek back, the snowstorm hit and it grew thicker by the passing minute. "That was a convincing performance," Miles commented.

"It wasn't a performance," Edward replied. "I really am seething with anger at how worthless I am, having to put on a charade like this.

"Welcome to my world," I shivered.

"You said something?" Edward asked.

"No," I looked away. "It was nothing..."

*~*~*~*~*~

We had to stake out in an abandoned building. Edward, Alphonse and I sat on some crates while a soldier leaned against a wall with his arms-crossed in a relaxed state. Outside, I could hear the howling wind rattling the metal building, almost like it was going to blow it off its hinges and take us with it. On the other side of the room, our escort soldiers Heinkel, Darius, Kimblee and a few more soldiers sat on some crates as well. Miles stood watch at the window, watching the storm to see if it will let up.

"I'm worried about Zampano and Jerso," Heinkel said.

"Either Scar did them in or they're trapped in this storm," Darius concluded.

"Scar won't be able to move either," Edward pointed out.

"He must be somewhere in this town," A soldier stated. "Let's make arrangements for our next search operation while we can."