XII

I sat up instantly, a burning pain erupting from the base of my throat. I felt it gingerly and winced when my fingers grazed over the wound. Envy had my sword up at my throat and slit it. I never felt so weak in my entire life. Me, as the Fullmetal Alchemist's bodyguard, kidnapped and held as a hostage then is injured by the kidnappers. And not only that, Edward had to go to the hospital as well! I should be the only one in the hospital, or better yet neither of us at all, since I should be able to fend for myself as a bodyguard!

I glanced at my arm, seeing thin scabs from rope burn and a fresh bandage on the gash on my arm. Edward sulked bitterly as he was sitting on his hospital bed, bandages on his abdomen and extending to his shoulders as well as a sling for his automail arm and a bandage wrapped around his head. Ross and Brosh stood beside him at his bed. "Looks like you can sit up now, huh?" Ross smiled, trying to stay positive in our situation.

I quietly got out of my bed and pulled the privacy curtain around my bed, changing out of the hospital scrubs they put me in. I winced as the clothes swept over the large bruise I had on my ribs, thanks to Envy, but I grit my teeth as I began to change out. "How is the Fifth Laboratory?" I heard Edward ask from the other side of the curtain.

"Well, you see..." Brosh trailed.

"It was blown up by somebody, and there's nothing left of it," Ross explained.

"Damn it!" Edward cried. "Everything's been wiped out?" I heard Edward wince on the other side. "That hurts!" He whimpered. "Damn. I was so close to getting hold of the truth, too. This is no time for me to be in the hospital!"

There was a pause as I slipped on my military jacket. "Fullmetal Alchemist, sir!" I heard Ross and Brosh chorused together. "We apologize in advance for this!"

There was a slap. I assumed one of them slapped Edward. "That was a selfish thing to do!" Ross scolded. She was most likely the one who slapped Edward. "You wouldn't have escaped with your life if you weren't lucky! Your superior specifically ordered you to stay behind and for a good reason too!" There was a pause, and I could hear Ross's tone softening. "Don't try to do everything just by yourself, turn to those who are around you! You can put more trust in adults, you know."

Another pause. "That's all!" Brosh and Ross chorused again. "Please forgive us for the abusive worlds and conduct unbecoming our rank!"

"Nah. I'm sorry," Edward assured.

"What about censuring me for slapping you?" Ross asked.

"I wouldn't do anything like that," Edward said. I could hear Ross and Brosh sighing with relief. "Why are you so anxious?" Edward asked.

"State Alchemist have the military rank equivalent to Major, and all," Ross explained.

"It's not as though I got my state certification because of that. You don't have to speak to me politely, either."

"Oh, really?"

"Huh, guess we were worried for nothing," Brosh laughed.

"You sure adjusted fast," Edward scoffed. "Come to think of it, where's Al and Evie?"

"Major Joyce is in this same room as you," Brosh informed. "And I gave Alphonse a little lecture, with my fist." He whimpered, implying that he punched Alphonse. Despite being hallow, it still will hurt if you do it.

Edward, Ross, and Brosh laughed as I pulled my privacy curtain open, adjusting my belt. I took a step as they all gawked me. "Major Joyce?!" Brosh cried. "You shouldn't you be out of bed, better yet walking at this point!"

"Oh?" I turned, reaching the door. I laughed, waving my hand a them in reassurance. "I just have a few nicks here and there. I'm fine. Besides, I need to talk to someone."

"But--" Ross started.

"Evie, wait, don't be stupid!" Edward yelled but I didn't let either of them finish as I stepped out of the hospital room.

*~*~*~*~*~

"Clockwork?!" Colonel Mustang cried, getting up from his chair when I entered his office. Even Lieutenant Hawkeye was shocked at my presence. "What are you doing out of the hospital? You aren't supposed to leave the place until another week!"

"I'm fine," I giggled, masking how pathetic I felt at the moment. "Honestly, all you adults are just being ridiculous at how worried you are. I'm fine."

"I wouldn't define 'fine' as having a slit on your throat and not to mention a huge bruise on your ribs," I heard the Colonel mumble under his breath. "But what is it?"

"I came to report on the 'haunted' suits of armor at Fifth Laboratory," I informed. "I wasn't going to leave my mission unfinished! Anyways, both suits of armor don't appear to be possessed by ghosts nor have people inside them. They appear to be in the same situation as Alphonse, judging by how they were when I fought both of them. Unfortunately, with the laboratory blown up like Lieutenant Ross said, both armors more than likely escaped. I can describe you how they look so military can be on the lookout for them."

"Well, then fire away."

"Once appears to wear a fur tunic and wields a cleaver while the other has pieces of cloth tied on its armor and wields a sword. There's also to be a 'scar' on its left eye. That's all."

"I see. Thank you, Clockwork. We'll inform the military about your findings. And also," he pointed a finger at me. "Go back to your hospital room. Now," he ordered.

"Haha...alright," I sighed.

*~*~*~*~*~

"'Go back to your hospital room'? Ha!" I chuckled as I stood outside Führer King Bradley's office. Nervously, I rapped the door with my knuckles.

There was silence, until I heard a warm "Come in!" from the Führer. I opened the door and stepped in to see him by the bookshelf in his room. "Oh! Joyce!" He smiled, approaching his desk. "I wasn't expecting you. Come, sit." He took out another cup and saucer and poured black tea into my cup. "I assume no sugar again?" He asked.

I shook my head no as I took my seat. He placed my tea in front of me and I took a small sip. He sat back down at his desk again. "Now, what do you need?" He asked.

I took a deep breath, saying the lines I had rehearsed to myself over and over again: "I like to resign my position as bodyguard of the Fullmetal Alchemist."