XXXII

We managed to nab a car, while taking out a few soldiers in the process, and basically broke the speedometer as we drove off into the nearest town. Even the Briggs cars are prepared for driving through the thick snow. Admitting Edward to a public hospital was going to draw unnecessary attention to ourselves so we found a home doctor and knocked on his door. After demanding he attend to Edward immediately and having to pay an absurd amount for the rush, the condition Edward was in, and to keep him and his wife quiet about us, Edward was taken care of.

Now he was resting and I paced back and forth in the living room as Heinkel sat on the couch waiting. The doctor and wife weren't very welcoming to us but I didn't care. What mattered to me at the moment was how incompetent I was. I had one damn job and once again I couldn't do it. All the things I could've done in the moment that could've changed fate. Now Edward was in urgent care and I have a huge bill to pay as I wait for Darius to finish getting ready so we could head off to the bank and withdraw money from my account.

I approached Heinkel, "Does Darius talk this long to get ready?"

"Darius?" Heinkel asked me, confused. "He left a while ago."

"What?! I'd said I could go to the bank with him so we could withdraw money from my account!"

"It would look suspicious so I sent Darius while you were getting ready with Fullmetal's pocket watch and some paperwork."

"Is it more suspicious that a sleep deprived teen is withdrawing money from my account or for a man who literally looks like a gorilla to draw money from Edward's account?!"

The door opened on cue and Darius came in. Grunting, he threw the folded money at the doctor couple at the dinner table and the doctor grinned as he began to count the money to make sure the amount was right. "Here, this should cover the medical expenses," Darius grumbled.

"All right, I accept the payment," He hummed.

"Oh, my, what a rip-off artist," Darius huffed.

"What are you talking about?" The female doctor smirked as she poured tea for herself and her husband. "When you factor in the hush money, it's reasonable."

"Well, I guess it does help that you're not asking any questions about us," Darius sighed.

"Well, I have a few questions for you," I stomped towards Darius. "I told you to wait for me so we could withdraw money from my account? Why did you go without me? You understand how risky it is--"

"I don't see why you're working up so much about this," Darius sighed. "What's the worst that could happen?"

"Darius!" Heinkel ran from the other room.

Darius and I headed over to where Heinkel was and saw some police getting out of several cars in front of the us. "That's what I was worried about," I growled. "They're onto us, and if you had just listened to me--"

A fist pounded on the door, not giving any time for us to think or even for me to finish my sentence. Darius ran off somewhere. "Now where are you--" I snapped.

The male doctor went up to the door and opened it. "Ah, soldier, are you not feeling well?" He asked.

"We're looking for someone," the officer stepped into the house and I backed up so I wasn't in view and by the room Edward was in. If I could just get in, I might be able to warn Edward so we could get out of here. "You just have one patient? Have you admitted anyone else?" The police continued.