XIII

"I like to resign my position as bodyguard of the Fullmetal Alchemist," I said.

"...pardon me?" The Führer sputtered. "Would you please repeat that?"

"I said, I like to resign my position as bodyguard of the Fullmetal Alchemist," I repeated, just like he asked.

"Joyce, I can understand given the recent events, why you would say that," he assured. "But, your kidnapping wasn't your fault at all. It was no one's fault, in fact. There's only so much into the mission Colonel Mustang can see, so he can't guarantee full safety of you on missions. I'm sure you hit a rough patch now. Just give it a few more weeks and I'm sure you'll be back in track."

"No, I know what I am saying," I told him, thinking back to the Scar attack and the Nina-Alexander Chimera. "If I can't even protect myself, then how can I expect to protect others?"

"Well," the Führer frowned. "If you don't want to be Fullmetal's bodyguard, then what would you like to do in East City?"

"I guess I could go back to the way I was before," I shrugged, sipping my tea.

"You mean being going on assigned missions and being a patrol officer the rest of the time?" The Führer raised a brow. "Have your talents wasted on a job like that?"

"Well...do you have any other ideas, Führer?"

"You see, there has been a shortage of State Alchemists here lately all thanks to Scar. I was even thinking about having Colonel Mustang promoted to Central. He's already two steps ahead of me, preparing a roster of soldiers he wants to take from East City with him. General Grumman will be watching over him here, but I'm the one officially in charge of him. How about I slip your name into his roster and have you transferred here as well so you can be with your uncle?"

"Really? You can do that?"

"I am the Führer. I can do whatever I want within the military."

"I...would actually like that. Thank you so much!"

"You're welcome Joyce. Just remember; if you ever want to come back and be a bodyguard again, just came here and ask. The position is always open to you."

*~*~*~*~*~

I went back into the hospital room to see Winry doing a maintenance check-up on Edward. Major Armstrong, Ross, and Brosh were also present in the room. There was no sign of Al. "Eve!" Winry cried, getting up from beside Edward. "I heard what happened! Get on the hospital bed and lie down, I'll do a maintenance check on you once I'm down with Ed here."

"Actually, I'm not here to return to my hospital bed," I told them. "I have an announcement to make."

Everyone turned towards me, listening. I took a deep breath, "I have resigned being Edward's bodyguard."

Everyone's jaws dropped, especially Edward's. I laughed, "Shocker, isn't it? Don't worry-I'll be transferred to Colonel's Mustang squad of soldiers, since he's coming to Central."

"B-B-But why?!" Winry cried.

"I'm just not suited for the job," I shrugged, turning to leave the room. "That's all I have to say."

"Evie, wait--" Edward started but I had shut the door on him. I walked down the hallway, but just before I reached the bend, someone grabbed my hand. I turned to see Edward. "Ed, go back to your room," I sighed. "You're too injured to be walking--"

"I don't care about that right now!" Edward shouted. "What I want to know is why you think you aren't suited for the job. Haven't you heard what the soldiers say about you? You are one of the best alchemists here! I think you're amazing! I've seen you hold your ground and wipe the floor when you fight. You are more than--"

"Edward, if someone like me can't protect herself, then how should I expect to protect you?" I asked, interrupting him as I yanked my hand out of his.

As I walked away, Edward reached out. "Evie, wait--" he started.

"This is my final decision, Ed-I've thought it through," I said, not looking back as I left the hospital wing. "Please stop making me doubt my decision."