Chapter 1

As the little girl hastily pulled her younger brother's hand, she muttered curses under her breath. She-they-were late. If they were lucky, there would be at least a stack left by the time they got to the front of the line. Selling newspapers only got them around 60¢, 30¢ for each of them. Without the money they made each week, there would be no way their family would have enough food for everyone.
Dodging pedestrians, running through alleys, jumping over obstacles, they finally made it to see the one stack on the counter. The two's faces dropped as they scanned the counter, the man behind it smiling kindly at the pair. The man was a family friend, one that visited the girl's family often. His name was Ewald. He was a refugee from Holland, who came to America because he hated the monarchy there. He owned the newspaper shop, and also helped kids get money by having them buy stacks and sell them at a higher price.
     Still smiling at the children, it dropped when seeing their distraught expressions. He frowned a bit before speaking. "Hey kiddos, why were you so late?" His accent thick as his frown then turned into a smile. When they didn't answer he continued with, "Don't worry, " he pulled out another stack of newspapers from behind the counter, "I saved you a stack. I noticed you weren't here at your normal time, so I kept it for you."
     The siblings' faces lit up at the sight of the other stack. Quickly paying for them, they ran off to there usual spots, separating. The girl yelled the headline, sometimes catching a passerby's attention. Unfortunately, business was extremely slow due to the recession that put her family into this mess. It took hours for her to even sell one newspaper, let alone all 10 of them. Even though each one only cost 3¢, the money would be better spent buying a pound of rye flour, an item with the same cost, and a main ingredient for bread. At this rate, it would take her all day to sell them. Even so, she pushed on, waiting for someone, anyone, to buy her newspapers.
After 10 hours, she still had 2 more newspapers left. People weren't very interested anymore, and her throat was certainly sore. A man walked up to her, a kind smile on his bristly face. "Good afternoon dear! Can you tell me the headline on the paper?" He asked with a soft voice.
The little girl nodded her head quickly and picked up the paper, reading the headline it aloud. "March 6, 1816, Jews expelled from Free city of Lubeck, Germany."
     She looked up to the man, hopefulness gleaming in her eyes. He chuckled before patting her head. "I'll take one please."
     She nodded her head and handed it to him. "Thank you sir!"
     He nodded and handed her a dime before leaving. "Sir, this is too much! "
     He looked back at her before answering. "Keep the change."
    He walked away, leaving the girl to stare where he was once standing. She looked back at the last newspaper, wondering what the best method of ridding it would be.
     After taking a moment to think, she ran towards the pub her sister worked at. After all, the drunks might be so tipsy that they might not think twice about buying a paper. Arriving a few minutes later, she tried once again to get the attention of the passerby's. Most of the people around were stumbling around like the bumbling idiots they were, some even collapsing to the floor, but none seemed to notice the presence of the youngling. She walked about, weaving through the small crowd. A particular pair, who were especially buzzed, had bumped into by the little girl as she passed by. The tallest growled at her, stopping the child in her tracks. "Watch where your going, you little twit!"
She took a step back as the man and his partner lumbered towards her. "I think we need to teach her a lesson...don't you think so, Willie?" The shorter of the two sneered at the frightened child while taking out a pocket knife.
"I think you're right, Johnny!" The other one smirked.
The girl instantly took off at the last line, scrambling to the woods. It would be the safest place, right? I mean, with her being so small, wouldn't it be easier for them to loose her? Well, she was right about that part, but she miscalculated a bit. While running into the forest, she forgot to make sure she knew the path out. It wouldn't be hard to get back, since the girl came to the forest a couple times a week.
Something else caught her attention. If she looked off into the distance, between the trees, she could see something. Something white. Her eyes widened when she realized what it was. Running over towards it, she sneezed a bit due to the cold weather of March. Finally, she made it to...the patch of snow. It wasn't fresh, just the product of a blizzard that had occurred not too long ago. She briskly scooped a handful of it up, molding it into an almost perfect spherical figure made of aggregations of ice crystals called snowflakes. The snowball didn't have a purpose, it was just nice to hold, a soothing object to the girl.
A sound, one that was hard to describe back then, but one we now know as static, filled the girl's ears. Her hands flew to them, but it did little to stop the dreaded noise, actually making it seem louder. The poor child couldn't handle it anymore and sank to her knees, tears pouring out of her eyes. She looked at the sky, trying to take her mind off of the noise. Noticing it was around the time she would be headed home, she sobbed harder. She had a splitting headache, and her vision was blurry from the salt water. The last thing she saw before she blacked out was a tall, tree-like man wearing a black tailcoat with matching black slacks stepping out of the bushes.

~1039 words~