Chapter 7

The town was fairly gloomy on this particular day. The sky was downcast, turning everything underneath a dismal gray. The wind was oddly cold, the breeze carrying leaves through the air. The atmosphere was morbid after the discovery of Constanza's 'corpse' in the forest. It was nowhere near her real death point, obviously, but no one had to know that, right?
     Walking into the cafe, Y/N got her usual, an empanada with a bitter yerba mate to drink. It was only to help wake her up, the dreary sky making her want to go back to her cozy house and crawl into bed. Fighting the impulse to do so, she walked out of the cafe, empanadas and drink in hand.
     Walking down the street, snacking on the food, Y/N made her way to her favorite lunch spot. A small, enclosed area in the woods. It wasn't far in, maybe only a mile or two. The trees there haven't been doing well, as if they were drinking poison. It wasn't like anything she'd ever seen. Normal poison wouldn't make the trees shrivel up to half of their normal size. So, while she ate, she would think of ways to fix the problem. And that's exactly what she did this time.
After eating her tiny lunch, she walked over to tree and knelt at the base of it, looking at the trunk and the dirt around it. With a glass bottle she took out of her pocket, she took a sample of dirt before standing up. She would send it to the company when she sent her next shipment in. They may be able to tell her what was in it. Right when she was about to climb the tree to look at its leaves, a barely audible rustle was heard from a nearby shrub. There wasn't any wind at the time, and there weren't too many animals that would hide behind them since there were only a couple dozen shrubs in the whole forest. She hesitated before walking to another tree, pretending she didn't hear it. Walking around the tree before she got back to the original one, she decided to see if she could weed out her spectator.
As she climbed the tree, she could hear the bush almost silently rustle one more time before she heard something being thrown her way. Quickly, she jumped down before looking back up, finding a knife right where her left leg was. She turned around, scanning for her attacker. After finding nothing, she tip-toed to the bush. Peering into it, she found...nothing. Absolutely nothing.
That's not possible! Y/N knew she hadn't heard any feet walking, let alone running, away.
Looking at the surrounding area, she realized there was no one around. Just be certain, she taped into plant's 'eyes', getting the same results, nothing. Sighing, she 'pulled out' before grabbing the knife and walking towards the edge of the woods. Halfway there, she got a tingly feeling. Losing her cool, she stopped where she was before yelling, "whoever's out there, please come out! This is kinda getting old!"
     After a moment of silence, she turned around to see four men. Studying them, she was quick to notice their attire. "So, we got a bunch of cosplayers who think it's okay to throw knives, huh? That's so not cool," she sighed before tossing the knife back at them.
     "Look, because I'm too cocky for my own good, I'm gonna give you a chance to leave before shit gets real. Or we can talk this out, I'm totally okay with a sharing circle." Her posture relaxed.
     "Good evening Ms. Y/N," one of the men stepped forward, a small smirk playing on his face.
     Her eyes narrowed at him while taking a involuntary step back. She studied him, noticing the feathers on his shoulders and his cone shaped nose. "So," Y/N started, "you're one of Zalgo's lackeys?"
"No, not him of course. Someone else, someone who sees the potential in you."
Y/N's eyes widened in realization. Trying to keep the situation on good terms, she stepped back a couple paces before speaking again. "Look, I'm sure we can keep this peaceful! Here, we can go back to my house and talk about this before we go do something rash."
The four boys looked at each other. One of them shrugged, one nodded, and one shook their head. The supposed 'leader' turned back to Y/N and nodded. "I guess we can compromise. But, you will have to walk in front of us. We wouldn't want you running off, now would we?"
     "Of course, how would you know how to get to my lovely home without my lead. Well, I guess you might know where I live since you've been stalking me for the past couple weeks. Though, do make sure you're close behind, these forests can swallow you  whole if you're not careful." Y/N turned on her heels, before walking away.
     Well, she was before she realized she didn't hear any footprint following her. Looking back, she saw them turned towards each other, seeming to talk telepathically to one another. Being the impatient person she was, she quickly called out to them, "Are you coming, or what? I don't have all day!"
     Turning towards her, they followed her through the forest.
     It was a long walk back, maybe 30 minutes. No one bothered to talk. They were all plotting, planning. While the boy's main mission was to get the girl, Y/N's was simple. I will not go back to that beast as long as possible. In fact, if I never see him again, it will be too soon.
     You see, she and the so called 'beast' had a long, long history. Even though she hadn't seen, or even heard from him in a couple decades, she knew he wouldn't give up until she caught her. And when he did, he would be too powerful for even his own good.

~1005 words~