Chapter 7

I don't fall asleep that night. It seems as though ages go by before the sky begins to turn grey with the coming of dawn.

I try to shift myself into a more comfortable position but when your tied by your wrists and dangling above the ground there is really nothing you can do.

The sound of footsteps reaches my ears and at first I think it's Veliron's guards coming to get me, or even continue what their master started.

I brace myself for whatever is coming. But to my surprise it is not guards coming, but a girl and a boy. I narrow my eyes in order to focus better and blink in disbelief.

It's the little girl that I had helped. She's carrying a small bag with her and the boy that's following her carries nothing.

The girl steps onto the platform and stands beside me.
"Ellena wait!"
The boy says trying to reach for her.
"Erion you said that we could help him."

The girl, Ellena, says narrowing her eyes at Erion. I assume that he is her older brother.
"He's dangerous Ellena."
Erion says glaring at me.
I'm too tired to care.

"He helped me, and he spared that man's life. He's not dangerous."
Ellena says defensively.
I wonder how they found out about the fight. Children are not allowed in the arena.

"Even if he doesn't try to kill us we could get arrested if we got caught!"
Erion looks over his shoulder as if he expects soldiers to come pouring into the streets at any moment.

"I don't care. What they did to him was wrong."
Ellena turns to me and I meet her gaze. Her eyes have traces of fear in them, but also sorrow over what happened.

She pities me. I don't need anyone's pity.
"Erion please, help me."
Ellena says without taking her eyes off mine.
Erion groans and steps onto the wooden platform beside his sister.

"Don't try anything foolish elf."
Erion growls as he reaches towards the metal ring that the rope is tied to.

Gradually I feel myself being lowered onto the wooden platform. Erion takes it slow and eventually I'm on my knees on solid ground.

I sigh in relief as my arms finally get a break from being suspended for so long. My wrists are still tied together but for the moment I'm just thankful that I am no longer suspended in the air.

Erion stands watch while Ellena approaches me from the front. Timidly she holds out a waterskin towards me.

"Can you open your mouth please?"
She asks quietly.
I would smile but I'm too tired to. Instead I nod and open my mouth as she gently places the waterskin to my lips.

I greedily swallow the water. My throat has been dry all day and relish the feeling of cold water flowing down and cooling the rest of my body.

Ellena removes the waterskin and places it back into her bag. Then she pulls out a small loaf of bread and tears a piece off.

I allow her to feed me pieces of the bread one at a time.
Normally I would be humiliated at having to be fed, by a child no less, but after feeling utterly alone for the last few days....

I'm just glad that there is someone who cares enough about me to risk punishment by feeding and giving me water.

Once the bread is gone Ellena gives me the rest of the water. Then she moves behind me and I try to twist my head to see what she's doing.

"Hurry up Ellena! It's almost morning."
Erion hisses.
"I'm almost done."
She replies calmly.
I feel something cool touch my back and close my eyes as Ellena cleans the wounds on my back.

She can't do much but wipe most of the blood off or else someone will notice. I open my eyes and see Erion glaring at me, so I glare back.

He seems startled for a moment but quickly covers it.
"Don't think that I'm doing this willingly elf."
Erion snaps.
"You're not doing anything. She is."

I nod my head backwards towards Ellena.
Erion scowls and looks away.
Ellena finishes her work and retrives her bag.

Erion wastes no time in hauling me back into the air. I sigh as my arms begin to grow sore again but I don't say anything.

"I hope that helped."
Ellean says looking up at me.
"I'm sorry that we can't do
more."
I finally manage to offer her a small smile.
"You've done more than enough. Thank you."

"Ellena, we need to go."
Erion grabs Ellena's arm and pulls her off the platform. It's strange, she reminds me of Anna.
Suddenly I'm filled with a sense of urgency and before they can leave I ask,

"Have you seen another elf? She has red hair and green eyes, her name is Anna."
Ellena stops and Erion narrows his eyes at me.
"Why do you care?"
"She's my sister. Please, I need to know if she's alright."

Erion's gaze softens, only a little. He shakes his head.
"I'm sorry, the only elf we've seen is you."
I hang my head and stare at the wooden platform.

"If we do see her we'll let you know."
Ellena says trying to cheer me up.
"Thank you."
I say without looking back up.
Erion begins to lead Ellena away and once again I'm left alone.

////

Veliron comes himself and with his guards to retrieve me later on that morning. He takes one of the guard's swords and cuts me down.

I collapse in a bruised and bloody heap on the platform. Laughter and mocking fill my ears but I ignore them.

The guards haul me to my feet but don't untie my hands. Veliron grabs the end of the rope amd jerks it forward, pulling me off the platform and onto the hot sand.

More laughter erupts from the assembled crowd and cringe as sand gets into my wounds.
"This will teach you to give me the respect I deserve."

Veliron tugs on the rope again and pulls me forward on the ground.
"Get up!"
He barks.
I glare at him as I struggle to stand.

"Hurry up!"
He yanks on the rope again and I nearly fall back onto the sand.
The laughing and taunting never end.

Finally I manage to stand and Veliron begins leading me through the city. People stare, point, and laugh.

The sun beats down on my exposed back and my legs tremble as I walk. Veliron continues to yank on the rope to try and make me fall but I manage to keep my balance.

I wish that this could all just end.
I want to lie down and never get back up. I have nothing left to live for, nothing to fight for.

I'm not strong enough to fight back against Veliron. I can't fight back against any of them. Why do I have to keep living? All my life is now is torment and pain.

As we near Veliron's home I notice a strange figure in the crowd. He's cloaked completely in dark blue, a hood covers his face but I can tell that he's watching me.

While I'm distracted Veliron sees his chance and pulls me onto the ground. Pain explodes throughout my body and the roaring laughter of the people threatens to deafen me.

I groan and try to block everything out but I can't. Yet one voice is heard above the crowd, no one hears it but me, and I could have sworn that it came from the man cloaked in blue.

Don't lose hope yet.
You will not be a slave here for much longer.
Freedom is near.

I look back towards the spot where the man was, but when I try to search for him he's nowhere to be found.